New Engine Oil Consumption

Hello, I installed a new AC Delco crate engine i(3.3 litre) in my 97 Intrepid. Runs great, sounds great and good power.

I put on about 2000 kms (1200 mi) and it uses 1 litre of oil. Does this kind of oil consumption on a new engine seem right to you?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve

That sounds reasonable, but if it continues I'd do a real good job of looking for leaks. If you don't find any I'd be concerned that either your valve stem seals are leaking a little or your rings didn't seat in properly. I hope you changed the oil and filter after the first 3-500 miles. If not change it now and start over again watching the oil consumption.

Mark R

Reply to
Mark R

A liter of oil in only 1200 miles? I think he has a leak somewhere. If it isn't visible from the outside then start checking compression. The intake can also leak into the system. You shouldn't use a liter of oil on 12,000 miles not 1,200 miles. Your system is suppose to be sealed.

Reply to
Abby Normal

check for leaks. if you don't find any, change oil and filter. make sure the old o-ring comes off with the filter.

keep an eye on it from that point on.....engines known to use some when they are fresh during break in. if it keeps using oil, its has issues that need addressed

Reply to
rob

Okay, I redid my math, I was thinking 1/2 a 2L bottle - 1/2 quart, oops. Still one quart of oil during initial break-in isn't that excessive. I'd still just change the oil and filter and keep a close eye on the level.

Mark R

Reply to
Mark R