Oil change on 2008 Grand Caravan question

It's been a long time since I've changed the oil on my own car, but this one looks like it's made for DIY.

This is an 08 Grand Caravan SXT with the 4.0 liter engine.

The oil filter is right behind the passenger wheel, and can be easily accessed from the space in front of the tire. The filter looks like it's going to be a snap to grasp with a filter wrench..

The owners manual says it's a 6,000 mile interval to maintain the warranty, but I'd like to do my own at 3,000 miles due to the hot, dry, dusty conditions here (summer temps to 115°F).

My question: Is the large nut/washer right next to the oil filter the crankcase drain plug? It looks like it is, but I want to be sure. It looks like a large nut with a washer as an integral part of it.

Is there a gasket that I need to get from the dealer before I start?

I didn't see any photos in the owners manual as to the drain plug location. . Can any experts confirm the location of the crankcase drain plug? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
QX

It is highly unlikely that an oil drain plug is located anywhere near the oil filter. The oil drain plug located on the very bottom of the oil pan, while the filter is usually located somewhere along the side of the engine casting.

As well, drain plugs are usually fairly small, and don't have true "gaskets", but instead use a malleable copper crush washer, which might not even be visible without removing the plug...

Reply to
daytripper

The oil drain is on back of the oil pan. It uses a 13mm wrench to remove the plug. The gasket comes with the oil filter. 5qts of I believe 5w20 oil. (it says this on the oil cap).

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks, I though that large nut 4" away from the filter was too good to be true. I'll have to get way underneath to find the drain plug. The gasket I was curious about, would be on the drain plug itself. My old VW Variant ('65 pancake engine) had a copper crush gasket that had to be used on the drain plug at every oil change to prevent leaks. Is there a similar gasket on the Dodge 4.0 (w/trailer tow package).

Reply to
QX