Oil Lead around timing belt housing

I have developed an oil leak and it appears to be coming from the timing belt cover. I had a local shop look at it and they claim it is a seal that is behind the timing belt housing. What could be leaking from there? Since I have ~75,000 miles on the car, I was thinking of replacing the belt also. Shop wants ~$350.00 to do the job, around six hours. Does this sound plausible?

Thanks for any advice you can give me. Dan

Reply to
Dan

Have no idea because we have no idea what you are referring to.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Sounds like to me your are referring to a front main seal on the crankshaft that could be leaking. Not sure what the labor charge is but replace timing belt and fix the leak this sounds reasonable.

Reply to
Licker

You are right, I was interrupted and sent this without proof reading. I read this now and see that I do not even know what I am asking. So, I will try this again...

1999 Dodge Intrepid ES 3.2 engine

Oil appears to be leaking from under the timing belt cover. As another responder stated, it could be the crankshaft gear, or, something else. Since I have moved to another state, I no longer have a mechanic I can trust right now, so I am looking for advice. A local shop stated they would fix the leak and change out the timing belt for ~$350.00. The mechanic stated that this was a common problem with my vintage car. Is this true? Could there be something else leaking from that area that could be more costly to repair?

Thanks.

Reply to
Dan