oil light

the oil light in my car comes on and off. it is a 1998 dodge neon. will stay on for a few minutes. after driving a while will go off. sometimes if goes off when the gas is pressed. there is oil in the car.

Reply to
dreya

Low oil pressure at low engine rpm. Could be main bearings, oil pump, plugged pickup screen, or just bad sender (snap switch).

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

To remove any doubt put a mechanical gauge in and check the pressure.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

here is another question: i have a 89 dodge dynasty 3.0l with more than 208kmile (it stop working at that time)

Just after i change oil, i notice my oil pressure sensor work for a couple seconds and dies. I check the oil and i confirm that my sensor says truth. I donto get oil on the top of the engine after a couple of seconds. did anybody see anything like this.

How can we detect a worn oil pump?

Reply to
uccoskun

Don't know what you mean by "says truth". Use a mechanical gauge at the oil pressure sender port to check pressure. If it shows say 80 psi cold, replace the sender.

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

what i did is , i loosen the oil filter as the car runs? :) initially, first time i start the car, i get oil pour down, laterm as it runs lets say 1 minutes after, it did not pour as i loosen oil filter. I check the oi on the top of the engine by loking through the oil cap.

PS: I already change the pressure sender twice(from donors out of junk yards)

Reply to
uccoskun

if you don't get oil pouring out of a loosened filter with the engine running, either the oil pump is gone, or the pump screen is totally plugged. Either way, the engine's probably now ruined. A diagnostic paper:

Sharon K.Cooke

A good link

Coasty

Reply to