overfilled the DODGE 2003 GRAND CARAVAN during oil change

Page 1 of 3
Hello all,
I think by mistake I have overfilled my DODGE 2003 GRAND CARAVAN SE with 1 to 1.5 quarts of oil.. It is like 1 inch over the max level on
the gauge.
I have not driven the van too much around. Should I try to remove 1 quart? or is it fine to wait for the next oil change..
please let me know your thoughts..
please see this article below.
http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repairqa/air_filters_oil/ques052_1.html ;_ylt=AuihcX7S8oh9c1ljfj7lN4aDc78F
-------------
CAUTION: Do not overfill the engine. Adding too much oil can overfill the crankcase. As the crankshaft spins around, it can whip the oil into foam if the level is too high. This, in turn, can cause a drop in oil pressure and loss of lubrication to critical engine parts. Also, too much oil may cause leaks as the extra oil is forced past seals and gaskets.
I'd go ahead and remove a quart. Having the level too high puts it in greater contact with the spinning crankshaft and it get splattered around a lot more inside the engine. It might be fine, but there are some problems that can result from that.

http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repairqa/air_filters_oil/ques052_1.html ;_ylt=AuihcX7S8oh9c1ljfj7lN4aDc78F
The main problem it will turn the oil into foam and stop lubricating the engine. Drain the extra oil out.....

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 11:57:16 -0500, Woody wrote:

????????
Would you please explain the technology supporting this statement?
On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 16:32:32 -0600, * wrote:

Oil is under pressure. If there is too much oil, and the pressure builds, then it can push out seals meant to keep it out of places. If the OP is luck, it will push a seal out at one end of the engine or another and leak onto the ground or into the tranny (depending on your definition of "luck")
If not, it can push out the valve seals and drop into the engine, and since a liquid cannot be pressurized...BANG! Hydraulic Lock...

leak
"luck")
Er....
.....exactly what engine are you talking about that has pressurized oil against the valve seals?
Any oil that manages to bypass the valve seals usually ends up burned - creating that familiar blue smoke.
On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 06:17:27 -0600, * wrote:

'88 Honda Accord. JiffyLube overfilled it by three quarts. I don't know how it happened, I know they gave me a new engine...I'm just going by what the Honda Service Manager told me. I figured he knows what he's talking about...
=?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_$B%O%A%m%/(B?= wrote:

The oil sitting in the pan is not under pressure (under normal conditions in most engines, I am sure if I didn't write this someone would find a some engine made in east germany in 1961 that was in 45 cars that had the oil in the pan pressurized and call me a dumbass for not considering it). The oil in the passages is. The pump picks up the oil and it is pumped through the system then returns to the pan. The oil pressure builds against the resistance of pushing the oil through the small passages, bearings, etc.
When an engine is over filled with oil, the oil pressure doesn't increase, the crank dips into the oil in the pan splashing it around. The oil get frothy with air and then these air bubbles are in the oil as the pump picks it up and circulates it. Of course air doesn't do a good job lubricating internal engine parts and the engine fails.

what
Your Honda "Service Mangler" is either full of it, or he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Either way, I would find another place to have my car serviced and repaired.
* wrote:

With a 3-quart overfill, I can picture some damage being done, including blown seals (penguin/ice cream jokes notwithstanding).

Kip Adotta you ain't.
Ted
Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

Never heard of him, but a Google search shows him as the apparent inventor of the joke.

what
The original overfill under discussion is 1 to 1-1/2 quarts..........
* wrote:

True enough, but then you chose to question another poster regarding his experience with a 3 quart overfill on his Honda.
cavedweller wrote:

Exactly!

know
by
talking
know
including
....who was posting that one could experience a hydraulic lock due to pressurized oil getting past his valve seals and locking up the piston - which is what I questioned.
The poster discussing the 3 quart overfill never uttered a word about blowing out seals.
He just claimed that Jiffy Lube replaced the engine after I questioned him about hydraulic lock caused by pressurized oil bypassing the valve seals into the cylinder.
Yet another poster posed the theory of a large overfill generating enough pressure to blow seals - not necessarily blow the engine - but I would think the standard crankcase ventilation system would absorb any pressure developed.
* wrote:

Well, I read all that after the thread got hijacked. What I didn't find was your advice to the OP and who seems to have resolved his problem.
Things do get lost though. I offered a wild theory to sort of support the idea of a hydrostatic lock in the bottom end of the Honda engine that may have blown some end seals but it didn't appear in this group thread. Instead it ended up as a cross post into the group that the OP included in his original post.
On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 16:33:54 -0600, * wrote:

As I have come to understand since then, Hydraulic Lock occurs when a fluid gets into the combution chamber. From what the Honda Manager told me, enough oil had gotten into the cylinders to cause Hydraulic Lock. I'm guessing it blew a seal or gasket somewhere.
What I do know for a fact is the engine was a mess! I started it and the OIL light came on, and I shut it off and saw oil spewing out onto the ground.

Why would you picture damaged seals? It does not matter how much you overfill the system... the oil pressure will not go up. Think of a gas pump at the gas station. There could be 300 gallons of gas in the underground tank or 3000 gallons of gas in that tank. It makes no difference in the amount of gas coming out of the nozzle at your pump until the level gets low enough that the pump starts sucking air.
With a 3 quart overfill you should picture bearings destroyed by a lack of lubrication. With that much overfill the crank will whip the oil in to a froth and the oil pump can't pump froth effectively so your oil pressure goes down until you stop or the engine stops.
The seals aren't subjected to any serious pressure. They mostly just keep the splashing oil from leaking out. Worst case scenario is a seal would be sitting in oil and might leak a little until the oil level drops back under it.
Steve B.