Parking Brake Adjustment- 1999 Grand Caravan SE

The parking brake on this car will not hold the car when in gear. Rear shoes have been replaced. I've adjusted them to the point of drag on the drums at the rear. The car has had no body damage that might have moved

something. The cables are terminated with steel beads on all ends and it seems there is no adjustment, but there must be. The brake worked when we got it in 2001 but ... now is useless.

Anyone have a fix??

Reply to
alanb

Are you applying the parking brake correctly? Many parking brakes will not hold securely unless the following procedure is followed: 1. Apply the service brake firmly. Keep the foot pressure on the pedal while you.... 2. Apply the parking brake. 3. Release pressure on the service brake.

Reply to
the fly

Yes... I am doing this. The parking brake goes all the way to the floor & does not catch at all. It is like the brake is not engaging. I go underneath the vehicle & push the cables to the side & can get the brake to engage. The pedal mechanism just is not pulling the cable far enough to fully engage the brake.

Reply to
alanb

More then likely the ratchet assembly is bad and not catching. you would have to replace this assembly.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Are you talking about the pedal ratchet assembly? He didn't indicate that that is his problem. The problem I'm having sounds just like his. The brake, when applied, will not keep the car from rolling forward from a stopped position when in drive. This is a requirement for passing inspection in our state. I would like to know where the adjustment is. Or has Chrysler conveniently made the e brake system where the only adjustment actually requires replacement of the ratchet system?? If that's the case, I wont be buying a Chrysler again. B

Reply to
Brian O

First of all try to stick with one post for each subject, it makes it to confusing, the other thing as I asked in the other post was do you have disk or drum brakes?????? The other/other thing......you wrote "He didn't indicate that was his problem" is this your car or is it a customers cars???

Reply to
maxpower

Well that is a stupid comment. Yes you can adjust the parking brake. Maxpower was indicating that it could be the ratcheting system is broken and that is why it isn't engaging. Why don't you learn to read you troll, and sell your chrysler because your an idiot, that just wants to be an ass on this newsgroup.

Reply to
hartless

Id say the shoe is on YOUR foot sir.

Reply to
Brian O

Firstly, I didn't see the other post, so that's why there was a second one. Secondly, Caravans don't have 4 wheel disc brakes that I know of. Thirdly, what difference does it make if its mine or a customers? B

Reply to
Brian O

You need to find another newsgroup to post your questions

Reply to
maxpower