Plymouth Voyager ABS problem

I live in United Kingdom and have got a 1992 Plymouth Voyager. Recently the ABS light came on and stayed on. The local Chrysler dealer didn't know what was wrong with it until I found out that all my make and year of cars had been recalled in United States. The Chrysler dealer decided to do the recall here for me but told me that the parts needed to repair my ABS problem were not under warranty. I have done some research and found out that certain parts of the ABS system are covered with a lifetime warranty. The others seem to have a 10 year/hundred thousand miles warranty. I have had my car since 1992 so the 10-year warranty is up. Mind you, I have done less than 50,000 mi. in that time. Since I only found out about this recall recently, do you think Chrysler should and will reimburse what it is going to cost me to fix my car?

Reply to
PennWooding

No!!! Why would they. there are 3 parts covered under the recall, if one of those parts are bad it will still be covered today. if the accumulator, Dual function pressure switch or even the filter is stopped up it is not covered. What did the dealer say was bad?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks for the expedient reply. There are two parts that the Chrysler dealer here said they have two replace. I can't remember the first one but the second one is something they called the "control modulator" whatever that is. Both parts have cost =A31000 each and that is excluding Labour.

Reply to
PennWooding

Unless you can tell me the exact name I cant tell you what the part is. However if they are replacing the controller I know that part is very expensive. If you are experiencing a hard pedal or no brakes at all that controller has nothing to do with it. That controller is only used for the anti lock portion of the system. If you were to take and throw the controller away that is on your vehicle it will allow the vehicle to stop as a normall vehicle without ABS. Yes both red and amber lites will be on at the dash.

Glenn Beasley CHrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

The garage only referred to it as a control modulator. The only thing that showed there was something wrong was when the ABS light came on and stayed on, nothing else happened. I am assuming by what you said, the part that was replaced has nothing to do with the recall so I haven't got a chance at claiming any money back?

Reply to
PennWooding

That part is not covered by the recall, however if it is a modulator fault code and the cause of that code is one of the solenoids on the Hydraulic assembly is bad you would get the complete ABS assembly for free. There are

3 things that could cause that code. Wiring problems (not covered) ABS brake controller (not covered) or Modulator solenoids (Covered).

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

This is the reply I got back from the Chrysler dealer here who have my car when I asked them for the exact problem

"Thank you for your e-mail. Original ABS defect required the change of the ABS control module. Fault codes cleared. ABS pump changed as part of recall. Having completed all recall work and change of control module, further defect showing Modulator Fault highlighten, this part is still on back order from Chrysler. Part number R4683474. I haven't as yet received a delivery date for the part. Our diagnostic equipment lists the defective part name rather than a defect code. I will let you know as soon as a delivery date is released. Best regards Chris. "

Reply to
PennWooding

Chris, what they are replacing is the complete Hydraulic assembly and assuming it isnt damaged due to an accident that part is part of the warranty recall and you should not be billed for it. Just curious did they install and charge you for the ABS controller? Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Hey, Glenn, what is a Hard Pedal indicative of? I was assuming the brake system has never been flushed. But, my ABS light does come on occasionally. Then will go out for a few hundred miles.

I had another one before this. I figured it didn't have ABS. It did; the previous owner took the bulb out of the warning light. No hard pedal, no brake problems.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I assume we are referring to the 92 Van with the bendix 10 ABS? A hard pedal could be several things on that system. A faulty pump, a restricted return filter that feeds the pump, A worn out accumulator, A worn out Hydraulic piston, The dual function pressure switch that controls the pump and faulty wiring.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler tech

Reply to
maxpower

Hi Glenn

By the way, my name is Penn not Chris, Chris is the name of the guy who is dealing with my car.

I haven't been billed for anything yet. This is a situation. At first, they couldn't find the socket to plug the computer in so they said they were going to have to strip everything down. Eventually they did find the socket so they could plug the scanner in. They then found a problem with something and replaced it at a cost of =A3940. When they had put that in, they told me that another problem showed up and they have ordered that part at a cost of =A31050. This part is what they described as a control modulator. I hope that is some help to you. The last message I sent you is what was in the e-mail from the Chrysler dealer here.

Reply to
PennWooding

I hope you are not paying for the first part. Sounds like they replaced the part that didn't fix the problem the first time. I'd demand that they eat the part as they did not diagnos the problem properly.

Reply to
hartless

Thanks for your reply,

I haven't paid for anything yet. The problem is, I haven't got cast-iron proof. I don't doubt what you and Glenn say, you certainly sound like you know what you're talking about. If I go waltzing up to them and say I'm not paying because a couple of guys on the Internet have told me different, they'll probably come up with some technical jargon to why I should pay. I am wondering whether I should gather all the evidence of here and send it to Chrysler UK and feel that they say. I notice that Glenn had Chrysler Tech under his name. I wonder what his position is in regards to the Chrysler Corporation?

Reply to
PennWooding

By the way, my name is Penn not Chris, Chris is the name of the guy who is dealing with my car.

I haven't been billed for anything yet. This is a situation. At first, they couldn't find the socket to plug the computer in so they said they were going to have to strip everything down. Eventually they did find the socket so they could plug the scanner in. They then found a problem with something and replaced it at a cost of £940. When they had put that in, they told me that another problem showed up and they have ordered that part at a cost of £1050. This part is what they described as a control modulator. I hope that is some help to you. The last message I sent you is what was in the e-mail from the Chrysler dealer here.

Well if they couldn't find the data link to plug the scanner in they shouldn't be working on the system. I would bet that they charge you for the ABS module (misdiagnosed) and the rest they get Chrysler to pay for. I don't know what that cost conversion is to American dollars but I know here in the states that ABS module is about $1200.00. You keep telling me they replaced something at a cost of????? and then you say you haven't paid for anything yet. It sounds like you have a mess going on.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I do not work for Chrysler, I work at a Chrysler dealer for the past 26 years, sending e mail that I post on here will not help you in getting anything done, If there is a problem with something, you have to work that out yourself. We can not look at your vehicle on the internet, we can only go by what you say on here. We do not hear the other side of the story. You say they couldn't find the plug, I'm thinking they cant find it because they aren't familiar with the system..... How do I know that your vehicle hasn't been tampered with and the plug was cut off or routed somewhere else??? If you suspect that you are going to be paying for a module that did not fix your problem then request to have the old parts back and try them yourself. As far as the Hydraulic assembly goes that they ordered for you... NO you should not be paying for that at all unless as I said earlier...if the vehicle was in an accident or tampered with then you may be buying it. once again, your vehicle is there, I'm over here.

My opinion Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thank you very much Glenn, you have been extremely helpful. Of course I don't expect you to actually do anything on my behalf, what you have told me is what I'd been wanting to hear the last six weeks.

No I haven't paid any money yet because the dealer have had my car since the beginning of January.

Regarding the socket that the scanner plugs into. That was just a ridiculous situation. They said that there was someone on the car which of course I knew different because a different garage had done a diagnostic check on the car three years before, I had the receipt to prove it. And the really stupid thing was that the guy who did work on my car at another garage and actually using their diagnostic equipment, was working for this garage at the moment and he couldn't find the socket. In the end, they found it.

The car has not been tampered with, not as far as I know, and it has not been in an accident. That is a very good idea, I will ask them for the so-called faulty parts and see what they say. Personally, I think they are just trying to make money out of me. A few years ago, the gearbox started playing up. It wouldn't go any higher than second gear. Another garage who used to have the Chrysler franchise fixed it for very little money. The same thing happened three years ago. This time this garage told me that the gearbox was beyond repair and gearboxes were no longer available for my make of car. They then replaced it with a reconditioned gearbox and charged me =A32500. I then phoned up Chrysler in Phoenix and was told that gearboxes were readily available for my make and year of car. What do you make of that?

Anyway, again thank you for your excellent advice.

Reply to
PennWooding

Well! That narrows it down then! ;)

I think I'll start with that flush...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Ok I give up!! if it narrows it down and I mentioned nothing about a flush why are you going to start with a flush? that's not going to make your pedal hard.If the filter is stopped up a flush wont do it, you would have to replace it. plus a stopped up filter will cause more then just a hard pedal.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Okay, the original part they replaced was the ABS control module. After they had replaced this, apparently another fault showed up, this time it was a modulator. So they are trying to get me to pay for the ABS control module and the modulator (part number R4683474) . At these part of the recall? What I can't understand is why a fault didn't show up on the modulator when they first did a diagnostic check, if there's something wrong with it and it needs changing, surely an error code or fault should show up the first time, why should a fault show up after they had changed the ABS control module

Reply to
PennWooding

The most common mistake made for a modulator fault by the technician is to replace the ABS module. Most of the time it is not the problem and once the part is installed the parts department does not want it back even if it does not fix the problem. That may be what happened in your case. Now they say there is another code so they will install the complete Hydraulic assembly because that is where the modulator solenoids are. And you cannot get them separate, you have to get the complete Hydraulic assembly. This complete hydraulic assembly IS part of the recall if the Modulator solenoids are bad and you SHOULD NOT be charged for it.If you suspect that the Module that they replaced is good, when they install the hydraulic unit and tell you the vehicle is done tell them to put your old module back on the vehicle. And it did show up on the test, why do you think they installed the Module??????And it wouldn't have throw up another code........it just didn't fix the problem so they had to tell you that in order to replace the unit.. IS THIS VEHICLE AT A CHRYSLER DEALER???? My opinion Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower