Power window problem on a 2002 Dodge Caravan

The window on the drivers side of my van broke. We pulled apart the door and saw that the cables that move the window are all bent up and out of shape. I havnt been to a dealer yet because once we put the cables back it worked until you actually try and use the window. Does anyone know where we can get new wires for the window? Sorry i dont know alot about cars this is just what i saw everything works fine except for the bent up wires

Reply to
practicalsarah

Purchase the complete regulator from the dealer, it comes complete with motor and all Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I had a similar problem. In my case it was the motor that was bad, but in trying to change it I messed up the regulator, which is very easy to do, unless you are carefull. I was told that once the regulator got busted, you had to get a new one. about the only place you could get one was the dealer. If you are mechanically inclined, you could replace it yourself, otherwise have it done for you.

Reply to
Alson.Richards

Reply to
epkoncept

More then likely its the window regualtor assembly. Chrysler or who ever makes theses parts for them cant seem to get it right because window motors have been a problem for years on the Mini Vans and LH vehicles. The only way to check it out is when it happens make sure you have 12 volts at the motor. I would bet that you do.....and then while you are at it, hit the motor with the palm of your hand as you are holding the window switch up or down and I will bet you again it moves. If so replace the regulator assembly. and if you take the bet. I will let you know where to send check.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
epkoncept

I have not taken apart the motor, the when they stop working it is normally in the down position. Yours need to be replaced

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
epkoncept

The window regulator assembly has been updated several times. now you get the motor and reg as one part. my opinion, stick with Mopar

Reply to
maxpower

You could also check the wiring harness bettween the door and the body. had a 76 New Yorker with broken wires.You have to pry back the boot to see them.

Reply to
blueeyes269

Need some advice I found a replacement motor for $101.99 at Kragen, and also the oem part at my local Dodge dealer for $132.25

Question, which should I buy ? The Cardone part from Kragen(Partsamerica) has a lifetime warranty. I don't think there is any warranty on the OEM part.

Peter

Reply to
epkoncept

Mopar carries 12 month warranty. Get the updated part from Chrysler.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
epkoncept

that's the update part, it comes complete with regulator/motor

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
epkoncept

Lets see! He said to use the Mopar part! And he said the Mopar part has the regulater assembly attached. Can you READ!

Reply to
harts

Reply to
epkoncept

Well, you are taking out the assembly to get the motor out. Then you will be spending time to R/R/ the motor. The regulator is plastic. Plastics degrade due to heat and cold. So you are spending the time to do it, why not spend the extra $70.00 to save at least 30 minutes of time, and have an updated motor, and newer plastic regulator!

Reply to
harts

Update: This afternoon, I took off the interior door panel. There were two screws on the power window motor case's flange. Instead of the motor popping off of the regulator assembly, the motor housing came off. I turned the armature and disengaged the worm drive. I noticed that the commutator looked good, no grooving. I looked at the brushes. Now I knew why the motor occassionally worked. The brush's lead came out at

90 degrees to the long axis of the brush, and limited its stroke in the brush housing. The brush spring was pushing the brush but its lead was hitting the brush housing so when the brush wore down, it could no longer make contact to the commutator. I measured the original brush dimension as 4.43mm x 4.46 mm, almost square. It looked almost the same size as the brushes in my radio control model car motors, 3.8 x 4.8 mm. I took couple of strokes of a file and my RC motor brush was now 3.8 x 4.5mm. I put them in and voila, the window motor is working again. I realize that I should have put in a 4.5 x 4.5 mm brush but I didn't have any around the house. I lubed the armature shaft bearing surfaces with high temperature grease so that it would not flow into the commutator ( the bearings looked pretty dry).

If that doesn't sound like a good idea, perhaps, when it f> Well, you are taking out the assembly to get the motor out. Then you will be

Reply to
epkoncept

Sorry for the delay in reply, just got back from a golf trip. The old style window regulator had problems with the cables breaking and the motors failing, The complete part has been updated

Reply to
maxpower