Put my van in Park it stays in Reverse

I own a 96 Gr.Caravan 3.3, 4 speed. I stopped my van put it in park and removed the key. When I try to start it again nothing happens. The instrument panel shows that it is in Reverse although it is in Park.
When I try to move it to Neutral the shifter will move but the N doesnt light up and the van still wont work. Any ideas? Thanks
There is a switch in the transmission that will allow the starter to operate only if the transmission is in park or neutral. That switch is connected to the start circuit by a plug on the side of the transmission. If the plug has come off or switch doesn't work, you can't start.
Pull the plug off of the transmission and jumper the contacts in the plug to simulate the switch. If you can start now, the switch in the transmission is messed up.
It also sounds like your linkage from the shift lever to the transmission is out of adjustment.
"" wrote: > There is a switch in the transmission that will allow the > starter to > operate only if the transmission is in park or neutral. That > switch is > connected to the start circuit by a plug on the side of the > transmission. > If the plug has come off or switch doesn't work, you can't > start. > > Pull the plug off of the transmission and jumper the contacts > in the plug > to simulate the switch. If you can start now, the switch in > the > transmission is messed up. > > It also sounds like your linkage from the shift lever to the > transmission > is out of adjustment.
Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it.
I found the problem and as you suspected it was the Neutral/Back-up switch. Easy to find and easy to replace.
I checked my cable and it was OK.