Re 1994 Ply Acclaim 3 lit.

My auto is losing prestone. This seems to have started just recently. Had the radiator pressure checked, for any possible leak around radiator and hoses and no leaks were apparent. There was a test done for the head gasket by analyzing the prestone in the radiator, and there was apparently no sign of this issue. There was also no sign of prestone in the oil. With the engine running, I have seen a little vapor puff on the passenger side of the engine from time to time. I was advised that it could be a frost plug or a water pump leak. The car has approx 180,000 miles. There is a sign of leaking around the engine, but no apparent sign of prestone on ground. I am losing approx a cup or so a day, however, recently the loss seems to be less than that. I look forward to your comments on this matter. Thank you for your help. Mike

Reply to
P.R. Hames

Normally if you have a leak and don't see where it is going its because it is going out the tailpipe due to a cracked head gasket or head. A cylinder leakage test with compressed air will confirm this.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
P.R. Hames

You mention a puff of vapor, possibly head gasket leaking externally, possibly water pump or o-rings. if you notice a seepage and cant determine where it iscoming from you will have to start dissassemblying things to see where it is coming from. if the wtater pump and timing belt have not been replaced now would be a good time to do it.

Glenn beasley Chrysler tech

-- Message posted using

information at

damnnickname

Could be that you've got a freeze plug that's in the process of rotting out. Years ago a friend's car was losing antifreeze out the tail pipe. Fearing a dead head gasket, we dropped the exhaust and found that a freeze plug behind the manifold/headpipe junction had developed a small rust hole and the coolant was being shot out hard enough to penetrate the dying headpipe gasket, thereby getting into the exhaust system instead of spilling directly onto the ground. We ended up replacing every freeze plug we could find.

Reply to
Ron Seiden

ide quoted text -

I put my money on water pump or waterpump feed hose .

Reply to
uccoskun

i would check the carpet on the passenger side and see if it is wet

Reply to
truckdriver