Re: 92 Caravan - worth fixing?

If the body is solid and everything else is good I'd be tempted to put in a good used tranny. I did on my 88 New Yorker and I definitely got my money's worth out of it. What can you buy for a grand? Nothing. A well maintained 3.0 is not a BAD bet. I'm not a fan of MitsuShitty products, but the bottom end of the 3.0 is bulletproof and although mine went through 2 sets of heads in 240,000km that's abouit the only engine trouble I had.
It's your decision, but there are more foolish places to put a thousand bucks.

Can you afford to buy another car; if not the rebuilt with a warranty is a better value than a transmission that you don't know what condition it is really in! Get the details of the warranty. Many time it covers the transmission, but not the labor to remove it if it is no good or fails within the warranty period. Just my opinion after learning the lesson the hard way.
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I found a local guy who work by day at a transmission shop and does some work on the side...I dropped it off at his place yesterday. He's going to drop the pan and take a look...perhaps as little as $250 to get it back on the road. He's telling me about $1300 if it needs a rebuild.
Fortunately we have an extra vehicle (a 2002 Isuzu Trooper with 45k miles that I *just* made the last payment on!) so I'm driving it in the mean time. We could afford another vehicle (don't care for a car payment again though, so it would have to be fairly inexpensive). Even at 204k miles, I know what I've got. Hard to say what I'd be buying off the used lot with 80k miles or so... But, I got lucky with this one, bought it 11.5 years ago with 84k miles on it...and it has served me very well. The only thing major I've had to do up to this point was a new head gasket about 40k miles ago.
I should probably just get rid of it...but you kinda get attached after all those years and miles!
Thanks,
Wesley