RE:INFO ON TEC TOOL

I am looking at upgrading my older Carvan to an 05 pr 06 in the near future and want to get a tec tool to read and change values in the onboard computer. Can some recommend either a software package for a laptop or a
stand alone tool which would do the job. There seems to be quite a few of them out there now but unless you have any experience with one its hard to make a decision and sadly we are at a point now that if you want to continue doing your own repairs its a must have for the tool box.
Regards Bill