Replacing fusible link

Hi folks,

I have a 1994 Dodge Stealth, and the wiring harness in my driver's side door shorted out causing the 30 amp fusible link for the power windows to blow. I don't have any replacement fusible links, so I used a 30 amp fuse instead (I cut notches in the fuse leads so it would fit the fusible link holder terminals). Can I just leave the fuse in and use that, or can that cause problems and should I order a fusible link instead? Is there really any functional difference between the two parts? Thanks!

Logic316

"Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get."

Reply to
Logic316

All the north american auto makers sit around a table and decide whether to spend a nickel or spend a dime. They most often spend the nickel and you get fusible links instead of the 'expensive' fuse and fuse block. Asian car makers do the same thing and usually spend the dime.

Fusible link or fuse both do the same thing allegedly. My Chrysler van burnt up a few wires before that link let go. I have replaced all the links on my car with a large fuse block with easily replaceable fuses.

cselby