Ruff start

I own a 1996 Dodge Stratus with a 2.4L 4cyl. Every time I go to start it it turns over and over and evetually starts. after it starts there is a heavy fuel smell (like its flooding itself) afer it does start it runs perfectly fine until I shut it down and go to re-start it. it doesn't matter how long it's been running previously it starts the same whether its cold or hot. Any input is appreciated

Reply to
Xaphan

Possible injector leaking down causing a flooded condition.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

is it possible to find out which injector is leaking visually, (ie cracks, erosion, etc) or does it have to be hooked up to a computer?

Reply to
Xaphan via CarKB.com

If you have a good ear and a mechanics stethoscope you could listen to each injector fire. There is a definite firm click each time it fires. You can usually tell the bad one because the sound is greatly reduced from the others. Also after the truck sets a couple of days pull the plugs and look into each cylinder with a scope and look for a wet piston top. Or go to the dealer have them hook it to the scope.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

If it is an injector leaking you can pull the plugs and see if there is any excess fuel or fuel smell in each cylinder. An emission machine would deffinetly locate a leaking injector.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname