serpatine belt keeps coming off

I have a 98 dodge grand caravan..we have replaced the serpatine belt 5 times.why does it keep shredding off?

Have you ever replaced the tensioner?
deesnowbird wrote:

"" wrote: > Have you ever replaced the tensioner? > > > > deesnowbird wrote: > > >I have a 98 dodge grand caravan..we have replaced the > serpatine belt 5 > >times.why does it keep shredding off? > > > >
Thanks for the advice...we did replace the tensioner and have not problems since. Thanks again.
On 12 Jun 2005 14:37:09 -0400, deesnowbird

My 92 Dakota has 200,000 miles on the original Serpintine belt (I carry a spare ;). Check all of the pulleys and figure out which one is locked up .. or so floppy because of bearing wear that it is eating the belt. I'm betting on the tensioner pulley.
"Leroy"

http://www.autoforumz.com/Dodge-serpatine-belt-coming-ftopict124226.html
http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p `4877
More then likely the tensioner is at fault. But if the belt comes off on turns with the A/C on you may be missing the drain sock on the a/c drain. It may be dumping water on the P/S steering pump pulley causing the belt to jump off.....Just a thought
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
my money as well on the tensioner pulley... i had one GM dealer 'mechanic' SOMEhow manage to put the belt on the wrong side of the pulley and still get the belt tight. not that that is the problem in your case, but the tensioner is usually to blame for repeated belt failure, from what i read and experience.

A friend's parents had a 91 Caravan with the 3.3 v6 and the tensioner broke off on it (after shredding and dropping the belt - 2 hours from home with 6 people in it!). Apparently they went through several more tensioners before someone told them to put a genuine Chrysler part on it (not sure if it was just dumping the belt or breaking?, but I haven't heard of any problems since...
I found the belt on my 92 3.0 v6 one notch off a few years back, so I took it to my local garage and they replaced the belt and tensioner - he assured me they hadn't had any problems with aftermarket tensioners, so that's what they put on it. No problems so far (knock on wood). Maybe just something with the 3.3? Anyway, something else to keep in mind in case you run into that problem...
Wesley

request
On 12 Jun 2005 14:37:09 -0400, deesnowbird

Check your pulleys for burrs and rough spots...
Raymond Sirois KU2S SysOp: The Lost Chord BBS 607-733-5745 telnet://thelostchord.dns2go.com:6000
"Raymond Sirois" wrote: > On 12 Jun 2005 14:37:09 -0400, deesnowbird
> > >I have a 98 dodge grand caravan..we have replaced the > serpatine belt 5 > >times.why does it keep shredding off? > > Check your pulleys for burrs and rough spots... > > > Raymond Sirois KU2S > SysOp: The Lost Chord BBS > 607-733-5745 > telnet://thelostchord.dns2go.com:6000
We replaced the tensioner...........so far so good. Thanks for everyones advice.....................