serpentine belt life

Just had my 2004 Caravan (3.3L V6) in for a 60K mile checkup. The serpentine belt was one of those "check; replace if necessary" items. It passed, but now I'm wondering what kind of life I might expect from it. (In other words, do I go back to sleep or do I worry about it all the time now?...) I'm fairly easy on my van (original front brakes only need replacing now, for example), so how often after 60K should I get the serpentine belt checked?

Reply to
Ron Seiden

Randy Pape

I replaced the belts on my '98 Stratus 2.5L V6 at 117,000 miles, at the same time I did the timing belt. They still looked fine but like you I didn't want to worry about it. The 2.5L V6 is a Mitsubishi engine, where as the 3.3L is (or was) a Chrysler engine, so YMMV. I put a lot of highway miles on my Stratus. I didn't do the brakes until 100,000 miles, same time as I did the tune up.

I'd give them a visual check every time you check the oil level. You could do a more thorough check about once a month. Or replace them now and not worry about it. They are not that expensive.

Reply to
Gyzmologist