serpentine belt misalignment squealing on 3.8 engine

Help! I am having problems with the serpentine belt sqealing on my 1999 T&C with the 3.8cc engine. I replaced the belt and tensioner but it certainly appears that not all the pulleys are in alignment. All the idler and other pulleys rotate smoothly and freely when the belt is off. It looks like the alternator pulley may be the one that is out of alignment with the rest of the pulleys. Is there any history of the alternator mounting bracket moving, bending, warping, etc? I never had any problem with the squealing until I installed a new belt when the previous belt had some visible edge damage. The previous belt and the tensioner had been replaced 15K miles earlier. I removed the tensioner again and it still looks good. I have never had a problem with the belt coming off like many others have. According to my local Chrysler dealer, there is no history of problems with these belts or pulley alignments. Therefore, I don't feel real comfortable having them work on this. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
dchost

Have you had the power steering pump removed or replaced? This is what normally causes the belt to come out of alignment. Was the Generator replaced at one time? And did you install these belts and then the problem occurred or were you installing these items to correct the squeal. And what exactly kind of squeal are you referring too........A belt squeal or pulley squeal. You throw me off by saying all the pulleys turn freely

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

power steering pump was not replaced by me. I purchased this vehicle used and don't have previous history. The squealing is a belt squeal. I mentioned the other pulleys turning freely just to clarify that the bearings in those areas were checked and are good. The first belt broke soon after I purchased the vehicle. I replaced the belt and tensioner. 15K miles later the belt began fraying on one edge so I replaced it. Several days later it began squealing very badly. Taking a closer look now it appears that as the belt moves over the idler it is not properly aligned and that is causing the high pitched squeal. As I try to eyeball the belt, it looks like the alternator is the one out of alignment. I'll look again at the PS pump.

Don

Reply to
dchost

You are almost going to have to have the vehicle in the air to see if the power steering pump is the one causing it. A piece of long heater hose will locate the squeal by putting one end to your ear and the other end where the noise is coming from, My bet is the squeal is coming off the power steering pump because the pulley is not on properly.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Glenn, Thanks for your responses. I just noticed that my original post said I had a 3.8cc engine. Wow, now that would be a small engine! I know you guys all knew what I meant.

I think you may be right about the power sterring pump pulley alignment. To fix that can the pump bracket just be loosened and re- aligned? or does a bracket bend and need to be replaced? I'll probably have my mechanic get it up on the hoist to do this. It may be a seperate issue but the tensioner pulley still does not align with the alternator and A/C pulleys.

Don

Reply to
dchost

Glenn, Thanks for your responses. I just noticed that my original post said I had a 3.8cc engine. Wow, now that would be a small engine! I know you guys all knew what I meant.

I think you may be right about the power sterring pump pulley alignment. To fix that can the pump bracket just be loosened and re- aligned? or does a bracket bend and need to be replaced? I'll probably have my mechanic get it up on the hoist to do this. It may be a seperate issue but the tensioner pulley still does not align with the alternator and A/C pulleys.

Don

Chrysler Made the 3.3 and a 3.8. both engine applications the same except horsepower. You say you removed the tensioner and reinstalled it.....did you make sure to get the pin lined up in the hole with the bracket?. If all is correct and you suspect it is the power steering pump pulley out of alignment you will have to remove and reinstall the pulley to the pump with the specify shim spacer. This shim spacer tool is what stops the pulley from going on to far or not far enough to properly align the belt. Chrysler Does make a kit that may help with alignment. me personally, if the belt squeals, it is out of alignment and the kit should not be needed. Find out what's out of alignment. Did you locate the squeal by using a piece of hose like I suggested?

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Glenn Yes the pin is lined up correctly with the tensioner. I didn't have a piece of heater hose so I tried my shop vac hose. I couldn't get it very close to the ps pulley but there was no obvious squeal from the front pulleys, so I'm pretty sure the ps pump pulley is the problem. Sounds like a special tool is required? correct?

Don

Reply to
dchost

Glenn Yes the pin is lined up correctly with the tensioner. I didn't have a piece of heater hose so I tried my shop vac hose. I couldn't get it very close to the ps pulley but there was no obvious squeal from the front pulleys, so I'm pretty sure the ps pump pulley is the problem. Sounds like a special tool is required? correct?

Don Not sure about the special tool, When you buy a P/S pump the shim is supposed to be in the pump box.

Reply to
maxpower

You can find the some information about this problem at the following link:

Hope this helps. Larry

Reply to
Larry D. Cosby