shadow fuel line

i have a "93 shadow es, the fuel line is perferated from one end to the other (corrosion and what not) it has been patched with rubber line. I have
recieved conflicting answers on replacement. Niether answer came from auto mechanics and my local parts dealer has absolutely no time under the hood, he just recites numbers from a parts catologue on a computer. Can this line be replaced with rubber or do I have to use the steel lines? I am trying to avoid fitting steel if i can but if rubber wont do the trick then ill do what i have to.

Which part of the fuel line? from the tank to the front of the car? return lines?
Anyway, I would think Steel lines are your best option, Mainly fuel pressure! Over time the rubber will be going up and down in fuel pressure which, with normal heat and cold will cause the rubber fuel line to crack and wear out a hell of a lot faster then steel lines. And you say the fuel lines are perferated from one end to the other! Have you changed the fuel filter? If not that could be restricting the pressure in the lines and causing an extremely high pressure in a small strem stress the line causing fatigue. There is a TSB, about WIX fuel filters (aftermarket) that people installed causing the problem with cracked fuel lines.
David wrote:

thanx david, the perferations nearest i can tell are from the tank to the motor. Although the return line looks just as bad. I do beleive the problem started like you said, with the fuel filter. The previous owner replaced the filter and the pump but the line was already damaged by then. I purchased the car to be disposable, I am only trying to squeeze two maybe three years out of it. So, I guess more specifically what I am trying to figure out is whether or not the rubber will last as long as I need it or will it just wear out in a few months time under normal driving?
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:47:32 GMT, "forktonguedchilihead via CarKB.com"

Rubber might last, but it also might catch on something and tear off, or wear through, or whatever. Use steel line - no more expensive than rubber (and if EFI, likely cheaper because you MUST use high pressure hose and special clamps) - connect with rubber if you cannot get to a clean solid part to put a fitting on.
There was a reason for steel lines and that is for safety if you replace something on your auto that is not approved or causes a fire your insurance company will not pay. Rubber is a very poor choice if you want stainless tubing follow the link http://www.mcmaster.com /
--
Coasty

Remove the SPOOGE to reply
Why would you want to use use Fuel Injection hose @3-$4 a foot and Fuel Injection hose clamps, it will last if it don't get too hot and burn or get caught on something and tear. Steel fuel line cost about $4 for a 5 foot length plus the inverted flare or compression fittings to connect the lengths together. Use the rubber in short pieces if you have to or if it goes from the body to the engine and requires flexing, also you should double clamp the rubber ends if used.

You must be confused!
--
Coasty

Remove the SPOOGE to reply
About what??
Coasty wrote:

I suggested using sst lines provided a link and you replied as if is I said something about rubber hose. Refrased Were You Confused?
--
Coasty

Remove the SPOOGE to reply
Coasty, I agree with all of your post, I was putting the message out for "forktonguedchilihead" that meant not just any fuel line rubber hose is used it has to be Fuel Injection hose which cost more than steel lines and they have less reliability. So why would you want to use it?