Shifting attitudes toward American Goods

Paraphrasing from article in the Baltimore Sun:
Keith Reinhard, a former international marketing executive, gathered a sampling of anti-American sentiments in his travels around the world.
He spoke of shifting attitudes toward American goods in recent years. He traveled to South Africa as a marketing exec eight years ago, and successfully billed Neutrogena as "America's #1 Face Cream." When he visited South Africa earlier this year, he saw a billboard advertising DaimlerChrysler Smart Cars:
"German engineering. Swiss innovation. American nothing."
"American origin used to be a selling point," Reinhard said.
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/353/70/1600/smart_billboard.jpg
Yikes. I think that it's very vogue to rip on America right now and that that plays a part in it. Look at Ford overseas, they're profitable, doing well, building cars people like, etc. etc. Dodge Caliber's euro introduction was much hyped, etc. I wonder if they can tie this to sales figures, but I bet not.
James Goforth wrote:

American industry about to go bye-bye anyway..... http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article15347.htm
The company I work for (www.rh.com) is doing quite wekk exporting high quality professional sound equipment. 20% of our sales are to China. However, I do have to have to keep nagging the people in production that they only have jobs as long as in our product that "Made in USA" means something. That people only accept Chinese quality at a Chinese price.
So I have to put in goos QC systems so we ship great prodcts. Our Iconyx speakers are flying out the doors to installations all over the world.
I know this is not car related but yes, there are still American companies who are selling on quality and innovation.
Dan