Spark Plug change in an '04 Durango

I would like to change the 8 plugs in my Durango next time around. This is a cost-cutting measure, since the shop really charged me a bundle. I noticed they have some sort of cap or device on top of each plug. In fact, the rear two seem to go back into the fire wall a bit. It looks like I can get to it, but I would hate to remove a bunch of stuff first. How difficult is this job? I have changed plugs in my '93 Dakota but they are easy, wires, easy access, etc. My concern also, is will I throw a code with the engine if I do it myself?

Any advice would be great. Leo

Reply to
lcarr

Which engine do you have? The Hemi has 16 plugs and 2 cylinders are difficult to get too. Shops figure 2 hours labor so thats why the high cost for them to change. I have about 40K on mine so it's about time to change mine as well.

Reply to
miles

Reply to
lcarr

I have a 98 Dakota with the 5.2L V8 and 89K miles on it. I've never changed the plugs. My son's 2000 Dakota has a 3.9L V6 with 97K miles on it. Those are also the original plugs. Same with my wife's 02 Intrepid (70k miles) and daughter's 2000 Neon (120K miles) - original plugs. Today's engines don't need plug changes like the older engines so you may want to consider saving your money until one goes bad.

Reply to
Abby Normal

My dealer wants $230 to change them on a Hemi 5.7L.

Reply to
miles

Thats not entirely true. If you take your plugs out you'll probably notice the gap is now many times greater than what it should be. Odds are the probe is eaten away to very little remaining. The higher voltage and current in todays ignition system means the gap is of less importance. It still fires. However, your mpg and performance will improve if you replace the plugs far sooner than 100K. The Durango Hemi comes with copper plugs. They're not gonna do that well for 100K. I don't know what other Dodge engines come with.

Reply to
miles

You are right. I just pulled each one from my 5.2L V8 and found the gap on each one to be at .044 in. and they are supposed to be 0.040 in. They all looked in pretty good shape too. I re-gapped them all to 0.040 in. and reset them. They didn't look new but for having almost 90k miles on them they did look pretty good. I would check the distributor too if I could get to it. That will take some doing and removal of a few engine components first. I'll revisit that when it gets below 90 deg. F here in Texas. It was hot as he*@ this afternoon just doing the plugs.

Looks like I have some plugs, wires, and distributor parts to change out this Fall - both trucks. The Ne>> I have a 98 Dakota with the 5.2L V8 and 89K miles on it. I've never

Reply to
Abby Normal

I pulled the plugs on my 2001 Ram with 60K and found the gap to be .15". There wasn't anything left of the probe. Maybe Dodge uses copper on some model/years and platinum on others.

Reply to
miles

Reply to
Abby Normal