speed sensor

ive got a 99 grand caravan, and after a few miles of driving it all of a sudden downshifts into 3rd, and wont come out untill i cut the engine off, then back on. the check engine light came on when it happened, so i went to autozone and had them scan it, and they said it showed a bad speed sensor, i figured it was just the sensor that works the speedo and ecm, but when i went to get the sensor, they said there are 2, 1 input, and 1 output, any clues as to what i need? thanks in advance matt

Reply to
187

Hi Matt, It would help if you said what engine was in it. But I will guess it is the

4 cyl. The input sensor is located beneath the two rubber hoses that carry trans fluid and are connected to the transmission. The output sensor is located about 8" to the right of that (looking into engine to the front right). I would say it is the output sensor causing your problem, even if you wanted to put in both, you may save a future problem down the road, and would still saved $200 from having a garage do the work. -J
Reply to
Wrench007 via CarKB.com

If your speedometer quite working at the same time, it's the output. If it didn't, then it's the input. As Wrench said, I'd just do both of them, unless you really can't afford both. Changing the both out will save you future trouble down the road...

Reply to
FeMaster

when i had az scan it, and they told me it was a bad speed sensor, i had them clear the codes, then it acted up again, but worse, it started jerking while changing gears and still downshifting for no reason, so i tok it back to az, but i had more codes this time, and 1 was bad input sensor, so i got that one. i have the v-6, but the sensor was in-between the hoses, so it was real easy to change, and now everything works great. thanks for all the help matt

Reply to
187