steering rack loose on Plymouth Reliant '88 model orig. 60,000 miles on odometer

Hi all. I purchased the car in February from the original owner. Clunky and shaky steering, some annoying play in the steering wheel & almost unreliable steering too at higher speeds when critical left hand
(at intersection) turning needed. When i first looked at power steering pump resevoir it was mighty low, and I am nearly 100% sure that it is power steering fluid leaking from underneath my car near the
pump area. My mechanic tells me that the steering rack is loose and that my car is dangerous to drive. He says that the steering rack that
bolts into the frame of the car somehow got detached and already was reapaired previously poorly by someone else. I just bought the car a few months ago and he is talking about welding the rack to the frame where the bolts should have been installed and set in correctly before.
Does any of this make sense to you all???
My mechanic told me that this is a common problem he has seen on other K-cars. Any input would be appreciated. My worry is that once the work is done on this, that I'll need additional front end work done.....I do need to get an alignment done after this kind of service is done on my car don't I?
Thanks a million
Steve
the bolts came loose in the rack on my 86 lebaron wagon. the holes in the frame were elongated somewhat by the bolts. I suggest not welding it but running longer bolts thru the frame and putting a nut and lockwasher on the back side.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I'll let you know how it goes.