Stratus + Air Conditioner??

I have owned my 98 Dodge Stratus ES for a little over a year. My question is this: how do I know if I need air conditioning fluid, either replaced or
topped up? It seems to be working fine. If the fluid is low or empty will the air conditioner just stop working? Hate to take it in and get charged an arm and a leg, if you know what I mean.
usually if the coolant is low, which is a high-pressure gas, the compressor will cycle on and off and on and off, and the cold air coming out of the vents won't be as cold as it used to be.
the system will have to be recharged at a dealer or mechanic shop ;)

designed, don't waste your money If it starts to blow warm, then have it looked at.
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
'xactly ;)

Thanks guys!

Jaded1 wrote:

If it works, leave it alone. If the R-134a refrigerant goes low, the unit won't cool properly and eventually, if it goes low enough, the compressor won't engage at all; which is good because running it on low refrigerant won't lubricate the compressor properly and may cause damage. But well before that, you'll be dissatisfied with the poor cooling.
If it ain't broke don't fix it. all you do is create problems for yourself. I have twocars 8 & 12 years one with 143000 miles Never touv\ched either AC. I live in Alabama and they have been used a lot.