Stratus Ignition

My distributor apparently went out on my 98 Stratus 6-cyl w/ 102,000 miles on it. One minute it was working fine and the next minute I'm calling a tow
truck and spending a thousand dollars. How can this happen with no warning. Does this sound normal?
--

Yours,
Dan S.
On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 18:42:14 +0000, Dan S. wrote:

A thousand dollars for a distributor problem? You're kidding, right? If you're not, somebody screwed you good. Sheesh.

It sounds like you're not too intelligent.

The question concerned my car, not me. Check on the retail price of distributor before you show your belligerence. I'm not too good to pay retail when the little guy is trying to scrap a living, assuming its an honest living.
--

Yours,
Dan S.
On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 19:37:48 +0000, Dan S. wrote:

Fair enough, but a distributor costs *NOWHERE NEAR* a thousand dollars. I honestly don't know if you're being serious here, or what. I don't actually know what it does cost, but I would be VERY surprised if it's over $100.

Over 600 retail or about $350 taiwanese knock-off. And, it's buried under everthing, plugs, wires, oil change. I just wonder how it could happen w/o warning. There was absolutely none. It started right up, I set off down a county road at a nice clip and it spit once or twice and quit. Tried to restart it, it sparked once and not again since. No sluggish driving, no sputtering starts, it just plain quit doing about 55 mph.
--

Yours,
Dan S.

tow
warning.
The distributor module is electronic, when it goes out....it shuts down like a switch. no advance warning. The complete distributor from the dealer is around $1400.00 and does not include diagnosis or installation. There are alot of aftermarket ones that I have seen owners install on their vehicles that have not lasted long at all.
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech