Stratus left side shaft seal

I recently changed the passenger side transaxle shaft seal on my 97 Dodge Stratus (183,000 miles). That was easy and went fine. However, I still have a small leak on the driver's side.

My first big mistake was not buying the shop manuals when the car was new. Now at 183,000 miles I can't justify the $100 for the manuals. I have a Haynes manual and since it is so bad, I am forced to ask the question here.

The Haynes manual provides instructions for changing the right side shaft seal, but states that the left side requires removing the differential bearing retainer and therefore should not be attempted at home.

Is this really something that is too difficult to do? I've done a lot of work on cars, including pulling and changing engines and transmissions. However, without any actual information on how to do this, I hesitate to just tear into this.

Has anybody accomplished this on their own? I would think it is doable, but not sure.

Thanks,

Doug

Reply to
Doug Samuel