tailgate latch question

I have a 2001 Caravan....lately it has developed a problem with the tailgate latch. When you flick the lock/unlock switch on the front door panel the doors (includingn the tailgate) unlocvk....BUT apparently the first catch on the tailgate releases, making it partially open. Lo and behold...you get the tailgate "open" icon on the dash. You have to shut it quite firmly so that its locked again. Please don't anyone say its the power locking system....who has the kind of money to fix THAT? But has anyone had a similar experience, and if so, what might be the cure??? Many thanks Dodger \

Reply to
dodger

Sounds like a faulty latch. Cant remember what year it was introduced but does this vehicle have the power liftgate?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

++++++++++++++++++ It has the power operated tailgate as well as power operated doors and sliding doors..if thats what you are asking. The power button locks and unloocks all five doors. dodger
Reply to
dodger

++++++++++++++++++ It has the power operated tailgate as well as power operated doors and sliding doors..if thats what you are asking. The power button locks and unloocks all five doors. dodger

Its the latch. easy to replace, don't know the cost of the part.

Reply to
maxpower

An application of lubricant at the latch sure can't hurt. I like to use Nevr Seize for this type thing, though a spray grease also works.

Reply to
DanG

The power liftgate latch has switches in it that tells the computer if the door is open or closed. when a the switch goes bad it cant tell the computer what position the door is in so it just pops and doesn't unlatch. A common problem with the system

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Sounds like it could have the potential to be costly?? Dodger

Reply to
dodger

Sounds like it could have the potential to be costly?? Dodger

You wont know until you call your local Dealer to price the latch

Reply to
maxpower

..

I may be ab it confused on what powerv tailgate means exactly but I THINK mine may be "manual".....in that the tailgate locks and unlocks via the power locking system BUT does not open that way. To open it you have to depress the latch (underneath, by the licence plate) and lift manually. I admdit I was a bit confused by "power" but I think the tailgate operation, as I described above, must be "manual". I admit to knowing not all that much about vehicles and terminology. Thanks....dodger

Reply to
dodger

I may be ab it confused on what powerv tailgate means exactly but I THINK mine may be "manual".....in that the tailgate locks and unlocks via the power locking system BUT does not open that way. To open it you have to depress the latch (underneath, by the licence plate) and lift manually. I admdit I was a bit confused by "power" but I think the tailgate operation, as I described above, must be "manual". I admit to knowing not all that much about vehicles and terminology. Thanks....dodger

Dodger, take your vehicle to the dealer or a shop and have it checked out.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

I have the same problem with my 2001 Town & Country! Have not called dealer for a price yet. Maybe today.

Larry

Reply to
Larry D. Cosby