The chief of police cars

THHPPPT. Toyota durability my butt. Tell that to the folks whose Tundras have snapped camshafts :p

Out in the real world, I would expect pretty much any Ford, GM, or Mopar to match or outlast a Toyota. Especially the rear-drives like the Charger and Interceptor.

Reply to
Steve

"Rant"? Where?

Perhaps so. In case you didn't know, *this* is a newsgroup, not business email. So, your "argument" is quite irrelevant. Right?

And right there is the main reason why there's a difference. Most business email conversations don't go on for 6 weeks, or have more than a few (3-4) participants. Quite different than newsgroups. Right?

Right.

Reply to
Dan C

I consider it funny how top posters rant on and on about pages of text with simple replies at the bottom, and then their posts contain the same pages and pages of dribble, with their replies at the top. As if there really is a difference...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Who really cares if there's not much back seat room? The dirt bag who just got arrested for beating his wife or for holding up a corner store or whatever doesn't deserve to be too comfortable.

Reply to
JL

how can you talk reliability from a family car that runs short intervals to a cop car that is probably on the road 16 hours a day driving???

My grandmother has a 1993 grand marquis that in the first two years the battery went from not driving it for a whole winter, and around the same time the exhaust rusted out from not driving it, and just recently a brake line rotted.... i'm sure the two tires shes put on it since new don't compare to likely 6-8 sets of tires on a cop car over a 2 year life span...

i just can't see how CR would say it it more "reliable"

and WTF is reliable anyway???

I saw a comparison of police cars on discovery channel... they had 3 cars, the C-V, a Volvo, and another car representing another country... the volvo won in the police obstical course challenge...

Reply to
Picasso

I didn't resort to being a sarcastic asshole, why is it necessary now?

Bringing it up at all is silly, IMO. My argument (no need to put it in quotes, it is a real argument not a metaphorical one) is that both methods have merit. Top posting is, for me, actually a lot easier to follow. I say that as I do the third option, which is to trim to relevant text while preserving attribution markers, and then intersperse comments as appropriate.

Actually, the business E-mails I am talking about may be added to for months and may have dozens of participants.

I think if there is a difference, its that all the participants always receive and look at all the business e-mails, whereas NG threads get glanced at by an ever-changing group.

Reply to
Steve

Even if what you believe were true, the lack of room and the poor reliability record for the Dodge are two of the reason few departments chose the dodge over the Interceptor or the Impala for that mater

Reply to
Mike hunt

That may be your opinion but perhaps you should take a look inside of a Charger with the partition installed and you will understand why police department do not like the car.

The sales figures do not lie, eight out of ten certified police cars sold in the US are Interceptors

My former company serviced thousands of police cars in six eastern states. When it comes to reliability, fleet maintenance records tell the story of why police departments prefer the Interceptor

Reply to
Mike hunt

How few? Do you have numbers to back your opinion?

I see a lot of Dodge Charger police cars out there, myself.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I'm seeing a lot more of them recently - my town just got one, the next town west has one, and the Massachusetts State Police must've gotten a bunch of them because I'm seeing them all over the state now.

There was an article in the Boston Globe in the last month that quoted a couple of Staties and they *love* their Chargers for their power and handling

- and the fact that the motoring public has been so tuned in to the Crown Vics for so long that the Chargers are almost like Stealth cop cars...

/daytripper (always on the lookout ;-)

Reply to
daytripper

I'm not doubting that in the least, and every time i drive by the ford lot here with new interceptors on it, i wish they'd let me roll in and buy one.

I've owned 2 crown victorias myself and can't say a bad word about them.

Reply to
Picasso

You can buy one. Ask to see the Fleet Sales Manager. You just will not get the $800 fleet discount

Reply to
Mike hunt

You have all been missing a major point. The police departments are not buying Crown Vics. The unions are boycotting them. The police (and limo version) have a habit of catching on fire when rear ended at more than 70 MPH. Even with Ford denying it, they lost when they came out with the retrofit modification for them. Since then, the police depts have not been buying them. The police depts also don't want to buy Chevys since Chevy lost the court battle for their brakes failing after being in high speed chases. What is left?

Reply to
origdirtyoldman

Do you even know what you're talking about?? There is nothing special about a "police car". They are "family cars" with specific options like light bar wiring, heavy duty cooling and alternators, etc. You can buy a police package for your own use. Reliable means XX people said something broke. If another vehicle has XX-10 people that said something broke, it is more "reliable" than the first.

Reply to
Tony D.

Maybe 2 years ago. And of course being practically the only game in town for years, the Ford will have greater numbers in the field. But ANY business publication reports the same thing: The Charger has been gaining market share STEADILY and the Ford has been losing market share STEADILY for the last 2 years. None of the companies publish police sales however, so the actual numbers are not known. Overall for last year Chargers were up 2% and Fords down 8%.

Reply to
Tony D.

hahaha where the hel did you hear that???

what do the police officers want to drive... honda civics?

Reply to
Picasso

I like it when the fuzz keep using Crown Vics simply because my eyes are trained to spot them off in the distance. I rarely exceed the speed limit by

10 MPH but I like to know when one is present.
Reply to
Shawn

That's one reason why the Massachusetts State Police are so keen on their new fleet of Chargers...

/daytripper (retuning the ol' eyeball for Mopar Cop Cars ;-)

Reply to
daytripper

I am hardly a Ford Apologist, but you're full of it here - Name me all the production large automobiles on the market today that can take a 70-MPH rear impact without catching on fire and/or the occupants being killed or seriously hurt from the impact. Use as much blank space as necessary for your answer...

You could build a specialized car for Law Enforcement work that would meet all the criteria you could think of in speed and handling, durability and crashworthiness - but it would be very expensive and very uncomfortable for cops with all their gear on to drive - they're wearing their flak vests 24/7 if they;re smart.

Have to start with a full Nascar roll cage chassis with door beams and a bladder fuel cell. Racing bucket seats, welded shut doors - yeah, I can see Sheriff Buford T, Justice climbing in and out the window 20 times a day... Hi-Po engine that lopes at idle, race-built tranny that shifts rock hard, full race brakes, fire bottle system.

No AM/FM radio or air conditioning, or fiberglass prisoner-ready back seat conversion (or even a back seat at all) that's too much weight.

And the rank and file officers drive what the're given, or they quit and go to work for another department. I can see why they would avoid a certain car make or model, but when everything else is already out on patrol or out of service, you drive it.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

My guess is that the rear bumpers on the japmobiles would end up somewhere in front of the firewall.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography Lifetime member; Vast Right Wing Conspiricy Web Site:

David Starr