The end of cheap gasoline

Yeah, but the environmental wacko's would protest the drilling or mining of that also. Just like the do with every new drilling or mining of natural resources. If they only realize that modern day world revolves around a barrel of oil. Man won't change his habits until he is forced to. We all can do a better job with the three "R's" Reduce, Recycle and Reuse.

This statement not only applies to gasoline but everything from plastic to other commodities that are made from chemicals that come from a barrel of oil.

There are lost of other sources of oil that has not been tapped for environmental reasons. There is a constant seepage of oil from depths of the ocean that we have not been able to drill for due to technology has not been developed. There are oil sands in Canada. Shell and other oil companies has spent a good bit of money trying to develop a technology that will make this a feasible resources.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

nope...been mining its sine the 1930s thanks to the US navy, only now is it becoming profitable thanks to modern technology.

Reply to
rob

You mean Shell has spent a good deal of Our (government) money developing ways to extract the crude from the oil sands. I understand it is economically viable at about $65 to $75 US a barrel. (means they will be making their regular shitloads) we will be there soon and there is enough oil there I'm told for the whole world for 50 to 100 years!! Plus all the capped wells in alberta that are not being pumped now. Offshore oil is a vast resource world wide!! As for the 3 r's i generally put out a full blue box and a small 1/2 Glad kitchen bag a week. My used oil and trans fluid go to an used oil refinery in town hear. So does my antifreeze!! Dodgem

But they will pry my 2001 Ram Quad cab from my cold dead hands. best gas mileage I ever got on a 1/2 ton though!!!

Reducing pollution is likely a far more serious problem. Like they still won't take the sulfur out of gas till the government makes them. I heard Ervin oil down east did it on their own just because they felt it was their corporate duty!!!!!!!!!!!!

All in all hydro is the cleanest power next to wind but god forbid you flood some indian land (not to mention the activists)

Nuclear power is clean when you think that its waste, although troublesome can be entombed underground in areas when no one will ever roam, live or vist. whats the big deal!!!!!

Sarge wrote:

Reply to
Dodge-Him

I agree with you on large oil fields that have not been discovered or drilled offshore. I agree with you on nuclear power plant. I also recycle both at home and at work. The biggest problem here in the US is not getting the crude but refining it. The bottleneck is at the refineries. The last new refinery built in the US was Marathon Oil. That was built in mid 70's. Many companies are lacking room to expand or even increase their capacity. The US, State and local governments are requiring them to stop expanding beyond a required buffer zone. Companies have been buying property at inflated values to create more buffer zones.

Every time they change the requirements for gasoline and require more pollution protection refining output declines slightly. This also adds to the cost of refining which is past down to the consumer. We need more refineries, better MPG vehicles to help easy the cost per gallon of gasoline.

Drilling is not the only answer.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge