The end of cheap gasoline

Page 2 of 2
"Dodge-Him" wrote in message: "You mean Shell has spent a good deal of Our (government) money developing ways to extract the crude from the oil sands.
I understand it is economically viable at about $65 to $75 US a barrel. (means they will be making their regular shitloads) we will be there soon and there is enough oil there I'm told for the whole world for 50 to 100 years!! Plus all the capped wells in alberta that are not being pumped now. Offshore oil is a vast resource world wide!! As for the 3 r's i generally put out a full blue box and a small 1/2 Glad kitchen bag a week. My used oil and trans fluid go to an used oil refinery in town hear. So does my antifreeze!! But they will pry my 2001 Ram Quad cab from my cold dead hands. best gas mileage I ever got on a 1/2 ton though!!! Reducing pollution is likely a far more serious problem. Like they still won't take the sulfur out of gas till the government makes them. I heard Ervin oil down east did it on their own just because they felt it was their corporate duty!!!!!!!!!!!! All in all hydro is the cleanest power next to wind but god forbid you flood some indian land (not to mention the activists) Nuclear power is clean when you think that its waste, although troublesome can be entombed underground in areas when no one will ever roam, live or vist. whats the big deal!!!!!"
I agree with you on large oil fields that have not been discovered or drilled offshore. I agree with you on nuclear power plant. I also recycle both at home and at work. The biggest problem here in the US is not getting the crude but refining it. The bottleneck is at the refineries. The last new refinery built in the US was Marathon Oil. That was built in mid 70's. Many companies are lacking room to expand or even increase their capacity. The US, State and local governments are requiring them to stop expanding beyond a required buffer zone. Companies have been buying property at inflated values to create more buffer zones.
Every time they change the requirements for gasoline and require more pollution protection refining output declines slightly. This also adds to the cost of refining which is past down to the consumer. We need more refineries, better MPG vehicles to help easy the cost per gallon of gasoline.
Drilling is not the only answer.
Sarge
That too! Dodgem
Sarge wrote:

End of cheap gas? Still seems DAMNED cheap to me. It costs me less to fill up my caravan right now, than it did 4 years ago, to fill my civic or volvo in the UK.
Stop bitching.
I'm not bitching. On the contrary, I pay absolutely no attention to the price of gasoline. When I need some I pull in to the nearest filling station and fill my tank. I couldn't even tell you to the nearest dime what the current price is. Plus it changes all the time anyway. And I agree, it IS still very cheap in light of the fact that we're (arguably) going to start running out of it, which is the premise upon which this discussion got started--see previous posting with link to "The End of Oil." I'm not crying out that the sky is falling, I just thought it was a provocative article and wanted share/discuss it.
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:24:06 -0500, James Goforth wrote:

Good, take it to some extremist / wacko newsgroup. This is for talking about Dodge cars.
Linux Registered User #327951