trade in value on a 2001 GC

I am trying to trade my 2001 GC in on a Toyota Sienna. The dealers will give me a decent discount without a trade in, but will only give me $3000 for my GC.
The guides say it is worth $5,000 to $6,000. I am calling it fair condition because it has some scuffs etc.
Any explanation for this? I don't want to beat my head against the wall if it is only worth $3000
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:34:47 +0000, Geoff wrote:

The dealer is trying to screw you, plain and simple. Play hard ball with 'em, or go to the next town and conduct your business there.

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 13:39:46 -0500, Dan C

give someone a good deal on your van privately and come out ahead.
There are too many used GCs on the market - the lots are full of them, and the auctions too. (at least up here)

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Geoff wrote:

Your trade isn't what they want to sit on their used car lot. That means they would send it to the wholesale auction. They can probably buy a vehicle like yours at auction for little more than the $3000 offered.
Trading in a vehicle is almost always a losing deal. People do so for convenience and take the loss. Sell it yourself.
In some states trade ins will save on taxes. In AZ for instance taxes are paid on the difference between the new cars price and the trade in amount. On an expensive trade in the savings might make up for the lower trade in amount.
miles wrote:

Not in Maryland. Taxes are owed on the full retail listed price (even if you negotiated a lower price, you pay taxes on the sticker price!) Bum deal that it is!
jcr wrote:

The logic in AZ is that sales taxes were already paid on the car being traded and the car will be taxed again when it is sold.
Chryslers generally have lousie resale value
On Wed, 16 May 2007 00:49:59 -0400, "sqdancerLynn"

'Till they are over 30 years old.

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

years and she'll be sitting with some cash? It still runs great. Maybe it will last!
They don't have lousy resale value, they have no value at all. Recycled into anchors works pretty good though........ Dale