trans shift problems

i have a 3 speed 404 trans it shifts fine up . but some times it does not want to shift back but if i do it manual it shifts back. any info will help. ps i did change the valve body with a new one.

Reply to
truckdriver

I am not a 404 expert so forgive me if my post is of no help. You mentioned that you replaced the valve body. Did you by any chance happen to end up with an extra check ball? Sounds like it may be missing one which is preventing the pressure differential needed to trigger a downshift on deceleration. Just a WAG.

Gyz

Reply to
Me

the 404 trans i am talking about is a front wheel drive not the rear wheel drive they are different and the valve body is one piece . thinking maybe the governer may be sticking .don't know

Reply to
truckdriver