turn signal stops blinking and stays solid

On my driver side of a 2000 grand caravan I have a turn signal problem. When I pull down to turn the left signal on about half the time it starts working correctly, then stops blinking (outside and on
dash). It will stay solid green on the dash where the left arrow is and solid red on the outside rear lens. All the bulbs seem to be good. Is this an electrical issue? I got lucky on inspection and they didnt notice. Thanks
On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 18:40:00 -0800, chrisc wrote:

Bad relay, most likely.

Double check bulbs. Bad bulb can cause the problem. Not likely the "relay' If the other side works as it uses the same "relay"
On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 11:21:24 -0500, clare wrote:

I think there's a seperate relay for each blinker... Also, in my experience, a bad bulb will cause a *rapid* blinking, not a steady-on condition.

I have never seen a vehicle with a flasher for each side and I've been a mechanic for over 40 years. As for the "failure mode" it depends on the flasher. A thermal type flasher will not flash with reduced load. Some electronic flashers flash fast with reduced load. I don't know which type is used on a 2000 GC, and we don't even know if it is still the original flasher - or if not which type was installed as a replacement.

I had this problem and it WAS a bad relay. WW

Thanks. I went to the parts store today. I tried a new bulb and that didn't do it. I forgot to mention that when it happens, the rear light turns solid and stays solid(even with the ignition off) and the front light just turns off. By saying light, i mean turn signal not headlight or brake light. Thanks again for all the replies.
the turn signals at the front on the 2000 caravan are also the daytime running lites.the turn signals and daytime running lites are controlled by a DRL module which is above your left foot on the firewall on the inside of the van.I find that when this happens I just cancel the turn signal operation with the turn signal lever by turning it to the right signal and then back to neutral position.Replacing the DRL( daytime running lite) module will correct this problem.. .

[...]

the 2000 caravan is equiped with day time running lites which are part of the front turn signals The turn signals and day time running lites(DRL) are controlled by the DRL module which is located on the left side of the interior firewall.when this happens to me I cancel the left turn signal by applying the turn signal to the right and then back to neutral.Replacing the DRL module will correct this problem.

Thanks. I went to the parts store today. I tried a new bulb and that didn't do it. I forgot to mention that when it happens, the rear light turns solid and stays solid(even with the ignition off) and the front light just turns off. By saying light, i mean turn signal not headlight or brake light. Thanks again for all the replies.

That is quite possible - Chrysler did use a STRANGE DRL system for a few years - and some strange signal systems too - like shutting off the headlight on the side that's blinking IIRC on at least one model???

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 16:21:59 -0500, clare wrote:

No, it shuts off the DRL on the side that's blinking. If the headlights are on, they are not affected. My 2006 Grand Caravan exhibits this behavior.

The DRL and turn signal on the front is the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 21:14:14 -0600, jed wrote:

The DRL and turn signal on the front is the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not on my 2006 Grand Caravan, they're not. The DRL is in the headlight housing, and is basically like a dim headlight. The turn signal is a seperate amber lamp.

Yes, but the original question was about a 2000 Caravan???????????

So what exactly does this DRL module look like. Is it easy to replace. ? I did a search and found a DRL relay which is a small black box with a bunch of wires. Is this it? Cause i have seen that on my van. Thanks a lot
On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 08:30:13 -0800 (PST), chrisc

The DRL relay would be the device

So what exactly does this DRL module look like. Is it easy to replace. ? I did a search and found a DRL relay which is a small black box with a bunch of wires. Is this it? Cause i have seen that on my van. Thanks a lot
yes the DRL module is a small black box mounted on the junction block on the drivers side under the dash.There are no wires but it pushes into the junction block. Go to the dealer and purchae a DRL module and then you will see what to look for when you are looking at the junction block.It just pulls out and then you can push the new one in.

Ok one more question, (or two). I think I already pulled that out. It has a few metal blade like tabs (like a plug kinda/ sorta).When i pull it out the turn signals stop working (is that it)?. Maybe go to the junk yard if it's some $ and only a dealer part? Thanks a million guys.