Weird noise from inside!

I have a 1998 Dodge Mini-van. It has about 150,000 miles on it, but we take care of it and it is still good transportation.

Today, something new and weird. When I first start the van there is a knocking noise on front passenger side down near the floor. It just knocks a few times like someone is at the door and then it goes away. A couple times it did it on and off for a while, but mostly it is done within 30 seconds. It sounds like it is from inside the cabin, maybe from the ventalation?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
shacky

Noises are hard to answer on line. It sounds to me like you arent sure if it is engine related or something inside the vehicle. Try to isolate the problem by turning the key to the run postion before starting it. If the noise continues with the key off I would say it is possibly an HVAC actuator motor/door binding.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

Thanks for the reply. I will try that. I'm reasonably sure it is not engine related, though. In fact, your suggestion is exactly what I was thinking of. So, what do I do about it?

Oh, and also, if the air controls are not changed, let's say they are set on a mix between floor and dash, would you get this actuator motor/door binding? I figured that would only happen when you changed your settings to, say, all floor air flow.

Thanks again for your help.

Reply to
shacky

Reply to
George Jaynes

The next time you get in the vehicle move the temp control knob to see if it does it, if it doesn't, put the a/c on and then hit the recirc button to see if the noise is there.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Chrysler Hasn't used vacuum reservoirs on the vans since 1995. They are all controlled electrically.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

A very helpful fellow wrote me an email and pinpointed the problem. Thought I would wrap up this thread with the info. Behind the glove compartment is a door and actuator that opens and closes the door and either lets the air in the cabin recirculate or bring in fresh air. When the car starts it operates the actuator and over time the gears in it strip and the knocking noise is the gears.

It is fairly easy to take off. I took it in to my Chrysler dealer and have a replacement ordered at the cost of about $53.

So, that weird knocking noise when I started the van; the recirc actuator.

Reply to
shacky