weird problem--------at least to me

I have recently obtained a 1995 Dodge Cirrus, _auction car_, that is rather hard to put fuel into. If I fill too fast, more than a trickle, the gas backs up and spews out the filler tube. I can hear the air "glugging" out of the tank as the fuel slowly displaces it. It is as if the vent isn't working correctly. Also, as it uses fuel, the tank begins to collapse. If I take the gas cap off I can hear the air being sucked into the tank. What's the best way to deal with this problem? I am an avid do-it-yourselfer but I have never run into this problem before. Neither has anyone I've talked to, including a couple of mechanics. I'd hate to pay a mechanic for something that is a minor fix. If it is in fact a minor fix. I removed the filler tube. It has 2 lines going from the tank to 2 nylon elbows that return to the top of the tube just below the filler hole. The larger line is the vent I assume. If I try to blow through the elbow when it is parallel to the tube, it appears to be plugged. When I turn the elbow perpendicular to the tube, it seems to be open and air passes. There is not enough room to attach the vent line when the elbow is in the perpendicular position however. Also, the elbow is inserted through a grommet, which I am afraid to mess with for fear of breaking something. There is nothing about this in the Chilton's manual. Interesting challenge. I may have to stop being cheap and hire a mechanic who knows something about this. :-)

Reply to
wicked

FL-Redneck via CarKB.com

also the fuel tank may have been out and the line from the filler tube at the tank may be pinched

Reply to
truckdriver

Seems like the classic symptom for a plugged charcoal line. The gas tank is vented through the charcoal canister. If the line to it is plugged, or the canister vent to atmosphere is blocked, the fuel tank will not be able to breath.

Reply to
Gyzmologist