Where is multifunction switch?

I want to fix a problem with "phantom wipers" on my 97 GC. Does anyone know where it is located? I've heard it is easily removed. Any tips?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Yoboslayer

well yea and so do you.....its the lever that you use when you turn on the wipers and the turn signal switch on. Thats called the multifuntion switch. Remove the covers, remove the 2 screws that mount the switch and off it goes.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

What's a Yobo? You can change the Multi-function switch if you want, but unless the switch feels sloppy, I believe you will be wasting your time and money. I have found this phantom wiper problem to be a faulty RELAY switch located under the hood in the BLACK fuse box panel. The RELAY location is (from the front) the third one to the right, for the WIPER on /off. The part looks like a 1"square block that simply plugs in.

This is also the same type RELAY that is used for the wiper PULSE, which could also cause the problem, but not as likely, anyway they are interchangeable so you only need to buy one(about $10.) --J

Yoboslayer wrote:

Reply to
Wrench007 via CarKB.com

Wrong. its the switch causing it

Reply to
maxpower

I think I would believe a Dodge Tech over a back yard mechanic.

Reply to
Adam

How would you know if either was true of your DUMB statement? Is it because of what you are told by the signatures? Believe what you want, but unless the parts were tested, there is no way of knowing for sure. The majority of the time I have found it to be the relay switch, which is a lot cheaper than the multifunction switch.--J

Adam wrote:

Reply to
Wrench007 via CarKB.com

Maxpower, There is no doubt in my mind that you do a great service for these postings and help many people, however you know as well as I that you cannot diagnose problems without testing. There can only be suggestions of what may be the problem.--J

Reply to
Wrench007 via CarKB.com

The relay doesnt engergize on its own, the grease that they use in the switch melts and shorts out the switch causing it to do what it does. the voltage that the wipers work on is like 2 to 4 volts. if the BCM sees this voltage it wipes the windshield

Reply to
maxpower

Exactly!! Tell me how to test out a phantom wiper problem? Are you going to sit and wait all day untill it happens? and when it wipes for the first time what will you do execpt say to yourself "yup I saw it" yes there are wires and park switches in the motor that could cause it. But if you were to take apart the switch and see the grease all over the circuit board you may say to yourself. hmmmmm this is the problem!!!

My opinion

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Ok at work now, DO a search on TSB 08-31-98 for self activating wipers. I have never had to replace a relay for such a problem, nor is there any mention about replacing a relay for such a problem in this TSB. I have replaced many BCM's and wiper motors because the wipers did not work at all, but always replaced the Multifunction switch for the Phantom wipe. And this has been such an on going problem with that year (and 96 also) van that we would always joke around and say there was a pollen sensor mounted on the rear view mirror that detected pollen, when it detected pollen it would wipe the windshield one time. ( I got in serious trouble many years ago for that statement) but always replaced the switch to correct the problem.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech once again, my opinion

Reply to
damnnickname

Right, maybe the same thing happens to the relay when it is getting weak.

I am not saying that it is not the multi-switch, but I can tell you for sure I have replaced these relays for this problem and have no redo's, I have also read other postings in the past where dealerships have replaced the multi- switch for $180.00 and the customer still has the problem, then dealership just tell the customer that this was just part of the problem. For $10. better to first try a relay, you will need it one day anyway, and now you won't. --J

Reply to
Wrench007 via CarKB.com

Instead of buying a relay why not just swap out the horn relay with the relay you are talking about, they are the same

Reply to
maxpower

There is a recall on this problem. Did Chrysler stop performing the recall?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

There was never a recall on the multifunction switch or anything pertaining to it

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

A yobo is Korean for girlfriend, or wife, or significant other I believe. While I was stationed in Korea my supervisor used to call me yoboslayer cuz I ran with a lot of different girls.

Thanks for the troubleshooting tips.

Reply to
Yoboslayer

Well cause then you would have to drive around without a horn working until the Phantom appears, also sometimes these relays are stuck in there pretty good, and when removed they could break their contacts. I recommend to put a little dielectric grease on the legs of these relays beforing installing.

Reply to
Wrench007 via CarKB.com

Thanks for the definition:-)

Reply to
Wrench007 via CarKB.com

Thanks for the definition:-)

Reply to
Wrench007 via CarKB.com

If the horn wasnt working you would no it was a relay problem (which it never is) and then replace the relay

Reply to
maxpower