Who was it who mentioned Fram oil filters and dropping oil pressure?

Page 2 of 16

I definitely agree with your comment.
In my opinion, a good quality air filter is much more important to the life of your engine than the oil filter. The air filter can keep contaminants out of the engine and oil system. An oil filter can only remove what is already circulating in the engine.
Ed

I have seen with my own eyes the results of a fram filter comming apart and filling the system with the crap the filter is made of. It destroyed the eng. pluged all the oil passages. This was when I worked in a Ford Dealership years ago. Fram basicly told us to go fork ourselves because they had many more lawyers on retainer than the cust would spend. Those guarentys ARE a joke. and I wouldn`t use a fram filter if they gave me a life time supply of the junk. KB
--
THUNDERSNAKE #9

Protect your rights or "Lose" them

I use premium filters, not Fram, and change oil at 3500 miles. I dont consider it throwing away money, and you have no proof that it IS...just an opinion.
hls wrote:

LOL, YOU'RE the one changing the oil far more often than every expert mechanic, and every vehicle manufacturer says is necessary for maximum engine life. It's you that has to provide the proof that there's an advantage, not everyone else that has to disprove it.

Bullshit. I'm an expert mechanic and do the same on my own vehicles. 5000Km on Dyno oil, and 6000km on the PT with synthetic.
wrote in message news:4b113959$0$1651

Every vehicle manufacturer DOESNT say that, and an expert mechanic would have no expertise to allow him to make that statement with any authority.
On my cars, the book says to change them at 5000 miles, but the dealerships have all told me to go 3500-4000. I wouldnt feel too bad about extending to 5000 miles if I had to, but oil changes are cheap, and I document every one of them with receipts, etc.
And I still dont consider it throwing money away. Using Mobil 1 and changing every 3500-5000 would be throwing money away.

I just changed oil and filter on both cars today and reset the electronics. Total time 55 minutes.
Bosch filter plus 5 quarts of Valvoline 5W30 was $19.63, for the Solara. Napa Gold filter and 6 quarts 4 oz of the same oil was $4.00 more.
Cheap enough, and I am good to go for about another 3 months on each car.
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 06:53:35 -0800, SMS wrote:

But according to Jim, Fram are not the 'worst quality filters."
Also, many years ago CR did a report on oil filters. Since at that time I had two new Toyotas, I was pretty pleased when the little sidebar said, "If you own a Toyota, you're getting the best filter made from the Toyota dealer."

Way back when, Toyota filters were Purolator, in Canada anyway.

Even I agree Fram filters are not the worst quality filters. There are some others that are far worse (IMO).

Well I don't agree with this. I don't think the Thailand made Toyota aftermarket filter for the RAV4 4 cylinder is a particularly good filter. It is not a bad filter, but there are other filters I like better (including the OE style Toyota Filter that came on the vehicle). I have a case of the Thailand made Toyota filters, and don't plan to throw them away, but when I order replacements, I am going to make sure I get the OE style Japanese made Toyota filters. If those aren't available, I'll probably switch the RAV4s over to the Purolator PureOne filter.
Ed
Put a Wix 51515 on it and you won't have a problem again.
Daniel Bought a 95 Grand Caravan SE 3.3l with 223,000 miles on it for $800 and immediatly changed to a 51515 and Mobil 1 5w30 non-EP. I have 10k miles of my own on the van now and the engine is still going strong.
On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 20:39:11 -0600, Daniel Who Wants to Know wrote:

Let's see if I can remember that number! ;)

When I changed the oil and started the engine, there was what sounded like a bottom end knock in it...
I went for a 5 mile ride and the sound went awat...Thank You! Whew!
I had a Gr Voyager w/279,000 miles on it. It had had the trans replaced under warranty and never had a problem with it, excep the guy who gave it to me wanted it back! He ran it up to 324,000!!!
On Nov 22, 9:39pm, "Daniel Who Wants to Know"

That number sounds familiar... same filter as a 225 leaning tower of power maybe?
nate
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 07:31:55 -0800, N8N wrote:

LOL! Nice description!

That number sounds familiar... same filter as a 225 leaning tower of power maybe?
nate
The 51515 is AKA a Motorcraft FL1A. It is the filter specified for most Fords and is just a longer version of the 51085 that is speced for the Chryslers. The even larger version is the 51773 but according to Wix it only has a 30 micron rating whereas the 51515 and 51085 have a 19 micron rating therefore it may be useful for cleaning up a sludged and/or neglected engine.
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 22:28:46 -0600, "Daniel Who Wants to Know"

Yes, the FL1A is the same application as the Fram PH8A - fit Ford, Mopar, Toyota, and many other apps.

I am confident that the oil pressure pick-up point is after the filter. Therefore a restrictive filter can only reduce the measured pressure, not increase it.
Ed
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote:

But in the Consumer Reports test, Fram (and Lee Maxifilter - Champion) did even better and was not only top rated but also check rated, meaning they did significantly better than the rest. They removed something like 88% of the test particles (I think they were 20 or 25 micron particles, but I don't remember if the test was single-pass or multi-pass), compared to 70% or 75% for AC. The worst filter removed 50%, and I think it was a depth filter.

Doesn't matter how well it filters if the ADBV doesn't work, and Fram's traditionally don't.
NB: I haven't used a Fram filter in 15 years or more because of this issue, so they may have rectified it - but why take the chance when so many other filters have been working well for years?
nate
larry moe 'n curly wrote:

But here's the problem - a filter that works really well will also plug up sooner. If you put a filter that removes fine particles an old sludged up beater that has been accumulating fine particles in the crankcase for years it will plug the filter in a short amount of time (sometimes very short) and that will show up as low oil pressure. Even if the engine has not been abused If it used a filter for years that is letting the fine stuff through you can expect a filter that catches fine stuff to to load up in short order.
    If you notice the millions of new cars using Fram filters aren't the ones having problems. It is always the guys with the 30 year old beaters who tell of their the bad experience with the Fram filters.
    That is not to say Fram filters are high quality. They are cheap filters, but they are good enough if you change the oil often enough.
-jim