Who was it who mentioned Fram oil filters and dropping oil pressure?

Page 3 of 16
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 13:58:12 -0600, jim wrote:

Every three thousand miles, regardless of age/condition of car...
"Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B" wrote:

Yeah and I'm a talking dog. You change the oil every 3000k on a car you have only had for 100 miles?
-jim
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 15:15:16 -0600, jim wrote:

jim...jim beam?...oh,brother...now infecting groups other than Honda?
Jesus ever let you put your finger in the holes in his hands, and your hand in his side?
Once more, for the fans on the West Coast...
1988 Supra. Bought in 2004. Oil changes every 3,000 miles since I have owned it. Approaching 30,000 miles since I bought it.
1989 Subaru GL coupe. Bought in 2007. Oil changes every 3,000 miles since I have owned it. Approaching 20,000 miles since I bought it.
1989 Mazda 626. Bought in 2006. Oil changes every 3,000 miles since I have owned it. Approaching 30,000 miles since I bought it.
1985 Toyota Corolla GTS. Bought in 1986 with 10,000 miles. Oil changes every 3,000 miles. Now has 259,810 miles. (that's 86 oil changes, all done by me) Hey! 86! I like that number!
1992 Dodge Caravan. Bought 2 weeks ago. Did an oil change. Will do an oil change every 3,000 miles as long as I own it.
2005 Scion tC. Bought in 2006 with 11,000 miles. Oil changes every 4,500 miles, since I use synthetic in this car. Approaching 20,000 miles since I bought it.
No, I do *NOT* analyze my oil. I just change it. Period. Every 3,000 miles. Except the Scion.
End of discussion.
And, I see you type as well as talk. Formidable!
"Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B" wrote:

You mean end of self absorbed delirium. Obviously you can't remember what it is you originally posted about.
-jim
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 18:38:11 -0600, jim wrote:

Still a meathead, I see. Good to know some things never change. Not really. It's just an old cliche.
It would be nice if, once in a while, you chimed in on a discussion where you actually added some value, instead of trying to make yourself look like the only person in the world who knows anything, and everyone else is just an idiot.
And I remember full well what my original post was concerning. I threw in the 3,000 miles to indicate when the next oil change might be, and also mentioned I was changing the oil in the Soob soon. But being myopic as you are, you focused on one thing and ran with it.
Why don't you go haunt a castle in Scotland or something?
For all you actually manage to add to a discussion, it would amount to about the same.
I'm not going to start this bullshit with you again like in the Honda group, or the last oil change discussion. Add something or just STFU. please.

You are wasting a ton of money and oil. With today's high quality regular oil, unless you have some crappy sludge producing import engine, every 6mo/6000 miles is all you need. Our fleet of thousands of cars and trucks ( 90% + domestic) get 6/6000 and it's works just fine. We have many vehicles run up to 250K miles on that interval and are still running when auctioned. My area has a couple dozen vehicles and the last time we had an engine failure was on a 70 Plymouth years and years ago. That's not to say in the entire fleet we don't sometimes have a problem, but it's much more likely to be a blown head gasket then anything else.

Depends on your goals. If you want the minimum upkeep, and you run the vehicles a relatively short time, and then just want to auction them off, you are probably right.
If you want to maintain your warranty and run the car for 8-10 years and 100K or more, then you do what the manufacturer says, or better.
At least, that seems logical to me.
Oil is damn cheap compared to an engine.

We keep them a long time. There simply is no meaningful benefit to changing the oil more often the 6/6000 except in VERY unusual situations. There is NO ONE who in the past 20 years has documented any benefit to what you are doing and I'd be shocked if you could find a professionally managed fleet that uses 3/3000 intervals.

And for the most part they all say around 6/6000. Some claim you need it more often for taxi service but Consumer reports proved that is not needed.

You can spend your own money any way you want but there is no factual basis for your claim that such frequent oil changes are any benefit. You are still living in the world of 1960 oil.
Ashton Crusher wrote:

USPS does for many of their vehicles. Of course, they beat the crap out of them. There are other exceptions, I am sure, of what you say above.
But, for the most part, you are correct.

I hate to be picky, but what Consumer Reports says about taxis is not relevant to most people.

For some vehicles, besides postal vehicles, need more frequent changes. But for the vast majority of the cars people in Europe and North American drive, 6/6000 is enough.
Jeff

I only mention it because the car makers love to stick that in the car manual as "severe severe" when it's clear that it's not.

Short Trip/City - 3000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first. Long Trip/Highway - 7500 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. What that means is beyond me. Let's say I change the oil, drive 1500 highway miles to my vacation city, drive 500 miles in that city, come home 1500 miles on the highway, and then do the typical city commuting again. When do I change the oil? Stupid to try to make sense of that. Easier to just change the oil every 3000, or 5000, or 7500. Pick your own number. That CR test on taxis was full of flaws, the obvious one being that taxis often run all day without being shut down. Anyway, nobody knows the real difference of changing at 3000 versus 5000. NOBODY. So do what makes you feel good.
--Vic
Vic Smith wrote:

If the vehicle is used solely for short trips, more frequent changes are needed because the moisture that builds up in the oil is never vaporized. You might see some seniors in Florida that just drive from their condo to the supermarket or shopping center in this category, but not a lot of people fall into this category.
The places like Jiffy Lube has valiantly tried to claim that nearly every vehicle is in "severe service" because nearly every vehicle is used for short trips on occasion.
Scientific American got it right:
"According to the automotive website Edmunds.com, the answer depends more on driving patterns than anything else. Those who rarely drive more than 10 miles at a time (which doesnt get the oil hot enough to boil off moisture condensation) or who start their car frequently when the oil isnt hot (when most engine wear occurs) should change their oil more oftenat least twice a year, even if thats every 1,000 miles, according to Edmunds. But commuters who drive more than 20 miles a day on mostly flat freeway can go as far as their owners manual recommends, if not longer, between changes. As a car ages, more frequent changes might be in order, but thats for a qualified mechanic to decide on a case-by-case basis.
The necessity of 3,000 mile oil changes is a myth that has been handed down for decades, writes Austin Davis, proprietor of the website TrustMyMechanic.com. He says that the economics of the oil change industry demand pushing customers to get their oil changed more frequentlypurportedly as cheap insurance against problems cropping upwhether they need it or not. One of the largest oil change chains, Jiffy Lube, for instance, is owned by Pennzoil-Quaker State, and as such has an incentive to sell as much of the companys traditional petroleum-based oil as possible."
The bottom line is that 3000 mile oil changes are nearly always a complete waste of money. They do not extend the life of the engine one iota. Taking the myth to even greater levels of absurdity, why not change it every 1000 miles or 500 miles. After all it's "cheap insurance" so you should buy as much cheap insurance as you can.
SMS wrote:

Wrong. They tried to make the claim so that they can sell more oil and filters and make more money that way, as well as try peddle other services that are either unneeded or needed far less frequently than Jiffy Lube recommends, like transmission flushes and other ripoffs.

as I stated.

They don't even have that right. My car gets to operating temp in no more than 3 miles, even when it's -0 F outside. Beside that, many use their car for long commutes, then jump into them at night or on the weekend go a couple blocks to pick up a gallon of milk or something, never getting the engine warm. Repeatedly.

You just pick an acceptable duration - to you - according to your judgement of what facts are as you see them. BTW, using the above logic, why change at 7,500 mile? Why not 15,000, or 30,000? After all, you're just forking over money to the oil companies. As I said, NOBODY knows the difference 3000 vs 7500 mile oil changes have on the engine in the long run. NOBODY. Even somebody who gets an oil analysis done every change doesn't know the actual effects of those results. Let common sense be your guide if you have no scientific data to back up your inclinations. My mark is 3000 miles, but I'm not religious about it, and sometimes go to 4000. It's not a big deal. The oil gets recycled.
--Vic
SMS wrote:

    Here is a question for you to ponder. How is the "qualified mechanic" going to determine if the little blue haired lady's car needs more frequent oil changes?

Is the Jiffy Lube guy a "qualified mechanic?" How about the "qualified mechanic" whose business is slow? I think she's gonna need more frequent oil changes.
--Vic
Vic Smith wrote:

How should a qualified mechanic know how often to change oil, other than following the recommended change intervals by the engineers who designed to the car? Mechanics are trained to fix things and do preventive maintenance. They don't have the training in organic chemistry, metallurgy or engineering to make better recommendations than the car makers.
dr_jeff wrote:

Most mechanics have working eyeballs. Do you think these engines could use more frequent oil changes?
http://delanytowing.com/candiscorner/media/blogs/a/oil-sludge.jpg
http://www.schleeter.com/images/oil%20sludge%2098%20BMW.JPG
jim wrote:

Obviously, they do. However, the vast majority of engines do not build up sludge like that. And, the parts shown are not visible from the outside of the engine. How often should the engine had its oil changed?
What you're making is a straw man argument. You have yet to explain how a mechanic is supposed to know how often to change oil. It is obvious when there is a bunch of sludge in the engine that it should have been more often. But you haven't said how to determine how often.
dr_jeff wrote:

No you are. The question wasn't how often does it need to be changed but has it in the past been changed often enough. That question is usually easy to answer.

Yes. And I'm not going to.