Why does blower motor resistor keep going out?

Threaded View

I have an 02 Grand Caravan, and every winter, the blower motor resistor goes
out and has to be replaced because the fan only works on high.

I replace it, and it'll last about a year and then go out again.

Is the only fix to replace the blower motor? How much would a typical repair
shop charge for that? Someone told me that it could be moisture getting
where it shouldn't (the blower motor wiring?) and causing the problem. Could
this be true, and if so, how can I check that and seal it up?

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. I can replace the resistor,
but I'm not a mechanic, so detailed suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Re: Why does blower motor resistor keep going out?

Just a guess, but the blower motor might have a shorted armature winding, and
if it stops with that winding in contact with the brushes, the next time you
turn on the fan the resistor will see a very low impedance path to ground. Et
voila, toasted resistor.

No idea how hard it is to replace the blower on that model...

/daytripper
'05 Hemi Durango Ltd

Re: Why does blower motor resistor keep going out?

goes
repair
Could

Are you replacing it with a MOPAR part or aftermarket part? Mileage on the
vehicle is?

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Re: Why does blower motor resistor keep going out?

I get the part from the dealer, so I assume it is a MOPAR OEM part. The van
has about 109k miles on it. It started doing this at about 80K and we
replaced the part three times now, about once per winter.

--
DK

Re: Why does blower motor resistor keep going out?

van
resistor,
the
The motor is probably worn out and causing the resistor to burn out. If this
vehicle does not have autozone the blower motor is really easy to replace.

Glenn

Site Timeline