Windshield removal

What are the odds of successfully removing a windshield from a junkyard van without breaking it? My local boneyard said he would sell me a windshield for $50, before I touched it. He would remove it for $150. I get the impression from this, that it would be quite difficult to do. Has anyone done this? Should I just pay for a new one? The van is a ?93 Grand Caravan with 140,000 miles. You see my dilemma. I hate to dump more money in it than I have to, but can?t afford a new/different car.

Reply to
rob

Most glass companies will come to your work/home to install a new windshield. If you have glass coverage on your insurance you only pay the deductable. I would suggest you call around as the prices vary widely.

Reply to
Mike

Mike wrote: "Most glass companies will come to your work/home to install a new windshield. If you have glass coverage on your insurance you only pay the deductable. I would suggest you call around as the prices vary widely."

I would not attempt to remove an old windshield having watch the glass company remove mine to replace it after it was shatter by a rock.

When shopping for price it also varies from shop to shop but also if you have insurance or not. I had a windshield replaced last year on my daughters car. I had taken out windshield coverage with a 50 dollar deductible. Having made two other windshield claims in the past year, I was debating if I wanted to go through the insurance company and take a risk of being dropped. I called three different glass shops and all three asked if I had insurance when I said yes they quoted me a price and told me to call my insurance company and bring the vehicle in and they would file the claim. I then called back a day latter and asked for the same thing and this time I told them I did not have insurance. The price was 100 dollars cheaper then with insurance. I told this to the insurance company but they did not seem to mind getting reamed by these same glass companies. I paid out of my pocket to get it changed to avoid being dropped for excessive claims.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

"" wrote: > Mike wrote: "Most glass companies will come to your work/home > to install a > new windshield. If you have glass coverage on your insurance > you only pay > the deductable. I would suggest you call around as the prices > vary widely." > > I would not attempt to remove an old windshield having watch > the glass > company remove mine to replace it after it was shatter by a > rock. > > When shopping for price it also varies from shop to shop but > also if you > have insurance or not. I had a windshield replaced last year > on my > daughters car. I had taken out windshield coverage with a 50 > dollar > deductible. Having made two other windshield claims in the > past year, I was > debating if I wanted to go through the insurance company and > take a risk of > being dropped. I called three different glass shops and all > three asked if > I had insurance when I said yes they quoted me a price and > told me to call > my insurance company and bring the vehicle in and they would > file the claim. > I then called back a day latter and asked for the same thing > and this time I > told them I did not have insurance. The price was 100 dollars > cheaper then > with insurance. I told this to the insurance company but they > did not seem > to mind getting reamed by these same glass companies. I paid > out of my > pocket to get it changed to avoid being dropped for excessive > claims. > > Sarge

Very good info., thanks.

Reply to
rob