wiper linkages

87 caravan, 3.0 engine

I have an ongoing problem with my front wipers on my caravan. Firstly, the linkage between the driver and passenger sides keeps comming off. I've put the bar back on 3 times now (and thats a real pain because the bodywork part covering it is hard to get off) but there seems to be nothing in the cavity to fasten the bar down. I was thinking about getting some washers, clipping a little gap, fitting it over and clamping it shut to try and hold it on, but i can't tell the size. Anyone know what i should be using to fasten this bar on - its unfastened both sides

Second, the drivers arm 'wanders'. No better term for it. Used to be, driving at a decent speed (40+) in moderate rain or heavier, and the wiper would come loose on the bolt. I used my factory wheelbrace as a cheater bar, and now that won't come loose. however, it is STILL occasionally comming off the screen. This is upsetting my wife, since it happened on her way home last night, and she lost the whole head (and that was right when cindy was hitting us) - thankfully she used the passenger side one to get her home, but therse no way to know when its going to happen again. A repeating linkage shouldn't be doing this.

Reply to
flobert

No matter. i stripped it all down alst night, replaced all the bushings, reconditioned the motor and the switches. lets see how it deals with the rain from Dennis at the weekend.

Reply to
flobert