01 Dakota 3.9-How fast does yours start?

It takes sometime 4-5 seconds of cranking for my 3.9 to start.This normal? 55k miles on it,just cleaned the IAC sensor.It seems to start faster when
cold than when warm.
nope. mine fired right up unless I left it sitting for a couple weeks. After that it would also set a code for the O2 sensor.

Damn i dont know what to do now.It only does this when warm,when cold it fires right up,but let it sit after running and it takes 5 seconds,then a stop in cranking,then it fires right up instantly. Really bothers me for some reason.

Hi RH, I dont have a Dakota,but my Ram has the 3.9.Mine easly starts right up,hot or cold. Have you pulled the spark plugs?If you know how to read them,they can tell you alot about what and how your engine is runing. Have you had your fuel pressure checked?My oldest brother had a GM,that did the same thing.
Michael
RH wrote:

I also have an '01 Dakota 3.9L with about 35K on it. It starts right up every time. The only time it was a bit hesitant was this past winter and a new battery seems to have taken care of it. It was never really that bad though. I always turn the key to "on" and wait a second or two before starting to let the pump run and it fires right up.
Good luck.
Gary B.
Strange.When cold mine fires right up,when warm,parked and then restarted,it takes 5 seconds,sometimes after 5 it still wont start,i stop for a few seconds,hit it again and it fires right up. Wierd

My 02 Dakota 3.9 has always started the instant I turn the key.

Same here, barely bump the key and away she goes. the 3.9 is a great engine.
Hmm.Strange.Anything i could look into regarding the delay? Changed plugs and wires already.Cleaned injectors.

How long has it been since you changed the air filter?

snipped-for-privacy@sdfg.com says...

I had the exact same problem on a 5.2L Dakota. There is a check valve in the gas tank that prevents gasoline from draining the fuel line when the engine is turned off. If the check valve goes bad then the fuel line drains into the tank while stopped and you have to crank for several seconds to let the fuel pump prime the line. I had the dealer fix it while it was in for service so I don't know how big of a job it is. But I'd get it fixed fast if I was you to prevent burning the starter up.
Anyone know how easy this might be to fix?
says...