01 Dodge 1500 4X4 automatic transmission

My transmission is shifting roughly on the upshift, and does not downshift when slowing down. On hills I have to floorboard it to get it to downshift.

I borrowed a friends reader/scanner and got the following codes:

P17757 Governor pressure not equal to target at 15 - 20 psi

P1740 TCC or O/D Soleniod Performance

How serious are these problems, do they represent the need for a major overhaul or rebuild, or just repair and/or adjustment?

I am trying to determine if I can afford to have a shop repair it at this time or if I can safely delay repairs a few thousand miles.

Reply to
CaribooHarry

Have you changed fluid and filter lately ?

Reply to
Joseph Myers

Yes, transmission serviced about 5,000 miles ago.

Reply to
CaribooHarry

Simple repairs... all done with the transmission in the vehicle, just need to remove the pan. The first thing I'd do is check/adjust the throttle valve cable. Then, if the problem still persists, I'd probably just swap out the governor pressure sensor and solenoid.

I wouldn't wait too long on getting the truck serviced... little problems with the transmission have a habit of turning in to much more involved (read: expensive) problems when ignored.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I had the same problems on mine. Solenoid was replaced. An hour or so labor I think plus cost solenoid, new fluid and filter. Don't recall cost but wasn't too bad.

Reply to
miles