01 Dodge Diesel Lift Pump Pressure?

I picked up my truck today, 2001 2500 TD 24 valve after having EGT and fuel pressure gauges installed. At idle, fuel pressure is like 5-7 psi, it "hunts". While driving it is around 3 max, going up a hill (truck is not really trying) it can drop to 1 or 2 psi.

What should the pressure be at idle, when driving, when working hard?

Does this mean I need to replace the lift pump before it takes out the main fuel pump?

My friends say CarQuest sells the same pump as you get from Cummins for a lot less. Around $100, I think. Main pump they say is a $2,000 job.

Is it hard to do or get at? If so, I have a mechanic that can do it.

Thanks,

Charles

Reply to
Charles

That is too low.

Yes It will cause your inj pump to fail. About $2500 for that puppy.

It should take 1/2 hour the first time. Very easy to do.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Where is it? In the engine compartment where the fuel pressure sensor is? You get at it from the top of the engine compartment?

Thanks,

Charles

Roy wrote:

Reply to
Charles

Drivers side close to the firewall. Looking in from the drivers front fender to the right and down from the fuel filter. You will see the fuel lines.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Charles, Change your fuel filter immediately. It is easy to do. You will need a 1/2" drive 12" extention, universal joint and a 1 1/8" socket to remove the cap. The filter simply lifts out. The new filter will come with a new "O" ring for the cap. When the new filter is installed, you will see 6.5 PSI at idle and under max throttle it will drop to 4, but not lower. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

I have the exact same truck, my runs 13psi at idle, 9 on the road. DE

Reply to
DE

Steve,

Fuel filter was changed in May, 15,000 miles ago. How often does it need changing?

Also could be the notorious lift pump.

Charles.

Steve Lusardi wrote:

Reply to
Charles

Could be just one tank of bad fuel. I have an '04 that did the same thing at

9800 miles. You're overdue. You don't get a lot of slack when you have only 6 PSI to start with. Steve
Reply to
Steve Lusardi

About every 15,000miles :)

Yours wouldn't be the first.... or the last.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I change oil and oil filter every 4,000 miles and fuel filter every second oil change. Order from Geno's and save a bundle of money. About 1/3 what the dealer will charge you. It really does sound like a plugged fuel filter though.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

I have a 2000 Ram CTD and just had my lift pump replaced for the second time. There's good news and bad news, mostly bad. The good news is that this time they have a new lift-pump design. They don't replace the unit on the firewall anymore... they put a dummy aluminum block there and drop the tank to install a pump there. I haven't climbed under to see what they did yet, but that's the way I understood it. The bad news is that the install cost me $800 at the dealer... about

4-5 hours labor included. I hope I got mine in time to save my injector pump. Just happened to be checking out a new scan tool toy and got the dreaded 0216 code.
Reply to
jackvt80

And the more bad news is that people have been reporting inadequate flow from this pump, being able to draw the fuel pressure down close to, or at,

0psi on WOT runs.
Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Tom, man I hope not! I was hoping the new design was going to make things right again. If they're going to go to the trouble of introducing a work-around replacement, the least they could have done was fix it right this time! Haven't put in a fuel gauge yet... is it easy enough to do on the 2000's? You're making it sound awful tempting.

Jack

Reply to
jackvt80

My mechanic said he installed the pressure sensor after the lift pump but before the filter. If filter was bad, he would expect high pressure, not low.

I bought a pump and filter today and will install tomorrow. He will guide me.

Thanks for all your help and advice,

Charles

Jerry wrote:

Reply to