01 Dodge van trans

I drive a 2001 Dodge full size van (compay truck)-V8 i assume a 318, automatic, 92K miles. Last fall it started kicking out of OD, and then a few miles later the "trans temp" lght would come on. I know it was not a
false alarm because you could smell something overheating. It did this a couple of times, then winter came and it never did it again until the first warm days in Feb. (South Tx) We took it to an independant shop that said we had to take it to the gealer. The dealership replaced the computer for about $900, and it was fine until about 2 or 3 days ago when it started again. It seems to shift fine otherwise. Any advice/info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Larry

Dealers usually offer 1 year warranty parts and labor.
Why not take it back?

A computer fixed an overheating problem!?
If the computer was somehow preventing the converter from locking, it could cause an overheat condition.
"BigIronRam" < snipped-for-privacy@home.com> wrote in message

So how did the older, non-lockup transmissions ever survive?

Especially us old guys having hot (read fast) cars with high stall converters...
The older non-lockup transmissions also did not have that heat generating OD unit either so the trans cooler was able to deal with it and come to think of it, the early OD transmissions from Chrysler were prone to failure and was probably caused by heat. And as the OP stated, after DC replaced the computer the problem went away for a while so tell me all knowing one, how exactly did that happen?
"Tom Lawrence" < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net> wrote in message

I'm getting in on the ass end of this, but I have a question. Surprised? Tom B, it it your belief that a convertor caused the engine to overheat?
Roy
IIRC, according to the OP, it was the transmission that was overheating, not the engine.
"Roy" < snipped-for-privacy@home.net> wrote in message

Oh! Told ya I was getting in on the ass end of it.
Thanks for the replies. Update-- took it to a transmission shop today (he has done work on several of our trucks before and we have been very satisfied---dunno why we didn't take this one to him in the first place) Anyhow, he scanned it and said it is the torque converter clutch. I asked him about just disconnecting the lockup, which people used to do on GMs, but he said it is all tied into the computer, so you cannot just unhook it. He is talking about $1100 for a rebuild, which sounds reasonable. As to why the computer replacement seemed to fix it for about 3 months--no idea. Thanks again Larry

So was he saying the clutch wasn't fully engaging, thus causing excess friction, and therefore overheating the fluid? And yes, you can just disconnect the lockup function - just have to cut one wire. It may set a code, but it would effectively prevent the clutch from trying to lock up. $1100 for a rebuild is VERY reasonable - are you sure he's talking about a complete re-build, and not just replacing the torque converter?

Yeah a rebuild. That is what mine ran to rebuild, including a torque converter. The shops have been saying the cost of the parts have dropped a lot and cost of rebuilding has gone down.

I will still take it back to the dealer where you first got it fixed and ask about getting refund or some compensation.
You did ask them to fix it, not change out parts.

Good luck with that one.

Roy