'01 head replacement on 1500 4x4

I just received word from my mechanic at the dealer thar both my heads are bad (5.9L). I am the second owner, and the last owner had replaced the heads at 58k...It's now at 83k, and the mechanic says
this is common for a 1500 series. Is this correct, or am I just getting screwed?
Thanks!!
Charlie '01 Ram 1500 4x4 Quad The OC

i have a 97 with a 5.9 and it has 282,000 miles with no head work at all. someone will correct me if i am wrong but i don't think there is any real difference between the 5.9's of our particular year models. i thik there is something else wrong causing the heads to go south. what is happening to them? michael
nunya wrote:

What kind of problems were you having? Whay are the heads "bad"?
--
.boB
2006 FXDI hot rod

The heads usually crack between the intake and exhaust ports, and usually on the rear cylinders.