'01 lift pump

on impulse i purchased an '01 cummins dodge yesterday
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/9687/01jpghq6.jpgbecause the price was just to good to walk away from. before putting it into service i had my
local dealer run it through the oasis system and apparently its still running on its original lift pump and high pressure oil pump. should i replace the lift pump now just on principle or should i continue to run it at the risk of taking out the high pressure oil pump? if i need to replace it, what better options are available than OEM? thanks,
--
Nathan In Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com
Nathan W. Collier wrote:

I'm very happy with the 95/95 FASS on my '99. http://www.fassride.com /
--
Ken

Didn't you JUST get finished having a talk with your wife about your impulse buying habits?! :)

I would replace it, and also install a fuel pressure gauge (I've had an Autometer 0-30psi electric on mine for several years now, and it has yet to destroy the sending unit, as some have claimed would be a yearly occurance).
I second the recommendation of a FASS. It's been very reliable for me, I like the longer life of the bigger fuel filter, I like the fact that I can run a 3 micron filter on it, and accessing the water separator drain is so much easier than the factory drain. However, I DON'T recommend it for an off-road rig, unless you build a cage/skidplate for the pump/filters.
Tom Lawrence wrote:

The 95 series FASS filters are limited to what DPP decides to sell. It's a one-off FASS dealer only cartridge (made by Fleetguard). Not long ago the 95 series FASS filter was DPP's FF2010 10 filter. Recently the FF2010 was discontinued and replaced by the DPP FF2003 3 filter. If you get the 95 series FASS you use 3 filters. The FASS 150 series can use Fleetguard and CIM-TEK filters in your choice of filter media and micron ratings.
--
Ken

does the FASS system replace both the lift pump and the injection pump or just the lift pump? thanks,
Nathan In Montana http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

Just the lift pump.

i can get a new lift pump for $90, or a FASS system for $600. sell me on the FASS system. thanks, Nathan In Montana http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

More reliable Rebuildable motor Better filtration Big-rig style water separation
If you're working against a budget, then at a minimum put a new factory lift pump in (so you start with a known quantity), and install the fuel pressure gauge so you know if the pump starts to go south on you.

not a budget issue, im just looking at the justification for spending 6X more for the FASS system over the standard lift pump.
thanks, Nathan In Montana http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

Honestly, it probably is overkill on an otherwise stock truck.