'03 Dodge Ram automatic "noise"

Has anyone had a problem with the automatic used with the Hemi engine? By that I mean a failure of any sort. Mine has a sound I can best describe as sounding like a valve opening and closing rapidly. Happens when the transmission is close to a downshift but not quite ready to do so. I've been assured by the service department it's common and not a cause for worry. It happens in 3rd, 4th and 5th. HD in NY

Reply to
HD in NY

Judging by the lack of responses, I guess no one has had any failures. Has anyone else experienced the same noise from this transmission then? HD in NY

Reply to
HD in NY

I had a '05 Hemi Durango rental for a week last month. I didn't notice any transmission noises.

Reply to
Nosey

I've got an '04 Hemi automatic and I haven't heard any tranny noises. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Ron W.

Reply to
RW

Thanks. I'm told that the '03 transmission does this but doesn't cause any harm. Since I questioned the service department about the noise, maybe I'm covered. I also tow a

30' trailer with it and it does it either towing or solo.It also unlocks and locks several times while towing and going up a slight grade (like overpasses). This with the OD locked out. This also is "normal" as per the Chryco Service Manager. HD in NY
Reply to
HD in NY

snipped

Sorry I forgot to thank you for your response. One quick note on the unlocking. It only does it with OD locked out. If I leave it in OD, the transmission will shift from 5th lockup to 3rd unlocked on a grade. This is with cruise on and engaged. HD in NY

Reply to
HD in NY

snipped

Thanks. I've got to get the oil and filter changed again soon. Guess I'm going to have to pursue this again with the Service Manager. I've checked to see if there was a computer update for it but haven't found any. The noise isn't real loud but is annoying, plus any noise from a transmission or engine is cause for concern.

Wish Mike S. would chip in on this. HD in NY

Reply to
HD in NY

HD:

I just saw your post... email me with your details.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons