04 Dodge Ram 1500 lift kit problem

I didn't explain fully - I took the truck on a 1000 mile road trip for the

4th of July, the cruise worked fine as it always has....on the 15th I installed the lift / tires. I had the computer recalibrated after that and the very next day I noticed the cruise didn't work properly. I know and already planned on re-gearing the axles after the lift, but not until I can afford it (2-3 months). I assumed the speedo recal would fix the computer with -or- without the gears.

I assume now that I will have to get the computer recalibrated again after the re-gear?

Reply to
HomeBrewer

I've lurked here for a while (I've owned dodge trucks for the past 4-5 years) but I don't read posts unless I need info, and I don't feel I know enough to pass info to others. I get the feeling that not many people like the SonMan. Should I be taking his advice - or ? He seems to be very knowledgable on the subject, more so that the service techs at the dealer that I have dealt with.

Reply to
HomeBrewer

Actually, no - you won't. Speed is determined by rear axle rotation speed, which is directly related to the diameter of the tires. Changing the gear ratio won't change the number of revs per mile for your tire (probably around 601 or so), so the speedometer will remain correct no matter what gear ratio you put in.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

yeah, but he has a bigger gun than you do.

Reply to
theguy

SnoMan,

I am a professional installer of 12 volt aftermarket electronics and I am here to tell you that engine vacuum has NOTHING to do with nor does it effect (as you say) a completely ELECTRONIC cruise control, factory or aftermarket.

An electric cruise will (and does in most cases) get its signal for vehicle speed from the VSS. There are no vaccum lines hooked up anywhere on the units, so explain to me how vaccum effects them?

Reply to
azwiley1

Close, my tires do598 rotation per mile....and that's good to know. Thanks for the info, now I am positive that the dealer screwed something up with the computer.

Reply to
HomeBrewer

he can't, and I'm still waiting on my question to be answered.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

According to my calculations - and a lot of online calculators - I'd say the truck would be better off with 4.11 gears....

Reply to
HomeBrewer

My mistake, I thought that I read that you did.

Reply to
TBone

Chris,

How is the wife liking the Liberty? My wife and I are thinking about getting one for her, with the CRD.

Reply to
azwiley1

He did. His explanation made sense since I've seen the same thing on my Hyundai. Left the auto-stick in 4th (OD) and climbed a very steep hill at 55 (1800 rpm or so, on a 2.7L V6, rolling weight about 4300#)... It pulled the accelerator to the floor, dropped out of lockup, kept losing speed, and after a second or two the cruise "let go". Luckily nobody was behind me, else it might have been an embarrassing situation (its embarrassing enough already, I drive a Hyundai SUV)

It has a Mitsubishi electronic cruise module controlled by the ECM - its got a regular ol' throttle cable for the human interface.

Hmm, aren't the Hemis "throttle-by-wire" (I know the 4.7's are)? This would mean the cruise and "your foot" actually run the same servo on the side of the throttle body, so therefore the problem wouldn't be the servo unless the accelerator pedal didn't work either.

JS

Reply to
JS

she loves it. she's getting 22 - 25 mpg out of it driving to and from work. she works about 30 miles away and drives interstate at 75 - 80 mph. if she slows it down to 65 - 70 she gets better, closer to 30. I've read that the liberty CRD will not see production for the 07 model year, something about emissions. but they are going to introduce a diesel powered Grand that will see mpg numbers closer to what the Cummins powered trucks are seeing.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

There's zero mention of engine vacuum as a cause of CC disengagement anywhere in the FSM. None. Zip. Nada.

as posted by Tom L.

further in an auto trans setup it should downshift to a lower gear to achive the torque multiplication needed to maintain the speed (an autostick doesnt do this as you select the gears like in a standard shift)

Reply to
Chris Thompson

That figures. Come out with something that works and works well and when we have a problem lets drop it instead of fixing it. I guess my wife would be happy though, as she has always loved the Grands.

Reply to
azwiley1

in addition when i told her about your question she said "HURRY!!!" she highly recomends the CRD over the gas versions of the liberty.

here's the link to the article in USA TODAY.

Chris Thompson

Tara would rather have the liberty than the Grand. easier to park. the grand is close the size of the old durango and she says the liberty is much better suited to running around in town than the durango was. food for thought. but yes I agree its a shame that the CRD is seeing its end this year and I've already sent my email to that affect, of course my little spill did nothing to change minds but it made me feel better to have voiced my opinion on them dropping it.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Thanks for the link. Maybe we will be able to find a real good used one if it comes down to that when we do this. She also likes the Toyota Highlander, and since it will be HER vehicle not mine, what ever she wants is what she will get.

Reply to
azwiley1

This is a unmoderated newsgroup. Anybody can give any advice they feel like. YOU have to decide who's advice is good and who's is not. Myself, I'm comfortable with advice and info I've received from Tom Lawrence, Denny, Wiley, Mac, Tbone, theguy, beekeep, JS, mac, chris and a couple of others. I'm sure that if you read back over your thread you will figure out who to listen to.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Weird. I originally attributed mine to a potentially misadjusted cruise cable (system freaking out due to the servo not being able to pull farther). I rarely leave it in manual shift mode when using the cruise unless I'm locking it into 3rd in hilly terrain with 4 people in it...

Yeah. It can pull itself out of lock-up, but it won't downshift out of

4th until it drops under 30-35 or so.

JS

Reply to
JS

The electronic cruise is monitored by ECM and if the engine does npt have the needed power reserve to power it, it will not let it engage. It is not transparent as you assume. It determines this by MAP or Vacum (which ever term you want to use)

SnoMan