04 Dodge Ram 1500 lift kit problem

Page 2 of 3

You're the one who said, "cruise is vacum controlled too" (spelling mistake and all). I'm simply pointing out that you have no comprehension of the systems you profess so much knowledge in.

But it is engaging just fine... it's suddenly DISengaging at 45MPH. I believe the dealership screwed something up when they changed the pinion factor in the PCM. The only reasons the CC would automatically disengage is if it thought the trans was in park or neutral, if the RPM increased rapidly (like a clutch was disengaged in a M/T vehicle - N/A here), excessive engine RPM (again, mostly a M/T issue), a speed signal that increases 10MPH/s (spinning the tires), or a speed signal that decreases 10MPH/s (vehicle hit something). It will also disengage above 85MPH.
There's zero mention of engine vacuum as a cause of CC disengagement anywhere in the FSM. None. Zip. Nada. The fact that hundreds of other truck owners have upgraded to 35" tires (it's been a very popular upgrade) without issue, also leads me to believe there's something "screwy" with his particular truck.

Actually, 1700 - but let's not nitpick.

Which OD? There's two of 'em, y'know...
So - if you're correct, and it's vacuum-related, he should be able to select manual '2', engage CC at 40MPH, and accelerate via the CC controls up to 50MPH, no problem (that'll start him out at about 2500RPM, and finish up about 3100RPM). If it still cuts out at 45MPH, then what will your answer be?

I tried it . even in "2" with 3200 RPMs the cruise still shuts off at 40 MPH. In the service manual it says it is designed to work above 30 MPH, but I was testing it this morning and had it set at 25MPH and it worked. I'm baffled but the dealer is supposed to fix it on Thursday.

Yeah... Definately a vacuum problem. Def-def-definately. Uh-oh... three minutes to Wapner...
Hey Snoman... any other bright ideas?

yeah, but he has a bigger gun than you do.

SnoMan,
I am a professional installer of 12 volt aftermarket electronics and I am here to tell you that engine vacuum has NOTHING to do with nor does it effect (as you say) a completely ELECTRONIC cruise control, factory or aftermarket.
An electric cruise will (and does in most cases) get its signal for vehicle speed from the VSS. There are no vaccum lines hooked up anywhere on the units, so explain to me how vaccum effects them?

.

he can't, and I'm still waiting on my question to be answered.
--
----------------------------
-Chris

she loves it. she's getting 22 - 25 mpg out of it driving to and from work. she works about 30 miles away and drives interstate at 75 - 80 mph. if she slows it down to 65 - 70 she gets better, closer to 30. I've read that the liberty CRD will not see production for the 07 model year, something about emissions. but they are going to introduce a diesel powered Grand that will see mpg numbers closer to what the Cummins powered trucks are seeing.
--
----------------------------
-Chris

Tara would rather have the liberty than the Grand. easier to park. the grand is close the size of the old durango and she says the liberty is much better suited to running around in town than the durango was. food for thought. but yes I agree its a shame that the CRD is seeing its end this year and I've already sent my email to that affect, of course my little spill did nothing to change minds but it made me feel better to have voiced my opinion on them dropping it.
--
----------------------------
-Chris

in addition when i told her about your question she said "HURRY!!!" she highly recomends the CRD over the gas versions of the liberty.
here's the link to the article in USA TODAY.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2006-06-05-diesel_x.htm
--

> ----------------------------
> -Chris
Thanks for the link. Maybe we will be able to find a real good used one if it comes down to that when we do this. She also likes the Toyota Highlander, and since it will be HER vehicle not mine, what ever she wants is what she will get.

Chris Thompson wrote:

He did. His explanation made sense since I've seen the same thing on my Hyundai. Left the auto-stick in 4th (OD) and climbed a very steep hill at 55 (1800 rpm or so, on a 2.7L V6, rolling weight about 4300#)... It pulled the accelerator to the floor, dropped out of lockup, kept losing speed, and after a second or two the cruise "let go". Luckily nobody was behind me, else it might have been an embarrassing situation (its embarrassing enough already, I drive a Hyundai SUV)
It has a Mitsubishi electronic cruise module controlled by the ECM - its got a regular ol' throttle cable for the human interface.
Hmm, aren't the Hemis "throttle-by-wire" (I know the 4.7's are)? This would mean the cruise and "your foot" actually run the same servo on the side of the throttle body, so therefore the problem wouldn't be the servo unless the accelerator pedal didn't work either.
JS
.

There's zero mention of engine vacuum as a cause of CC disengagement anywhere in the FSM. None. Zip. Nada.
as posted by Tom L.
further in an auto trans setup it should downshift to a lower gear to achive the torque multiplication needed to maintain the speed (an autostick doesnt do this as you select the gears like in a standard shift)
--
----------------------------
-Chris
Chris Thompson wrote:

Weird. I originally attributed mine to a potentially misadjusted cruise cable (system freaking out due to the servo not being able to pull farther). I rarely leave it in manual shift mode when using the cruise unless I'm locking it into 3rd in hilly terrain with 4 people in it...

Yeah. It can pull itself out of lock-up, but it won't downshift out of 4th until it drops under 30-35 or so.
JS
On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:41:56 -0400, "Chris Thompson"

and what question is that? You guys turned this into a circus. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com

"us guys" only took what you offerred. a little late to start whining.

The electronic cruise is monitored by ECM and if the engine does npt have the needed power reserve to power it, it will not let it engage. It is not transparent as you assume. It determines this by MAP or Vacum (which ever term you want to use) ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
Really, then how come NONE of the Rostra electronic cruise control units I sell and install have no vaccum line hook ups, NONE use MAP, vaccum, or manifold pressure? They will ALL engage at 25 mph or higher, etc..
Oh hell you know it all.

According to my calculations - and a lot of online calculators - I'd say the truck would be better off with 4.11 gears....