'05 exhaust brake / PING --> tom

in this thread

we discussed engine braking. now that im making calls to persue it the people are acting like they have never heard of doing this before. i want to get this straight: from ats diesel i need a brake controller, right? which one? after getting the controller, what engine brake do i need? does anyone seem to know how to make the two play nice together? could you outline it step by step so that there is no room for miscommunication when im trying to explain it to them what it is that i want to do? thanks....i owe you!

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

The ATS Copilot will control TCC lockup and exhaust brake engagement.

Any engine brake, really. Pacbrake is a good choice.

Sure. You hook up the Copilot, which monitors your TPS, MAP, vehicle speed, overdrive state, etc. When it detects acceptable conditions for lockup, it will lock the torque converter (as the Copilot gets spliced inline with your TCC lockup wire to the transmission). Also when conditions present themselves (TCC locked, TPS showing closed), it will energize a wire that you connect to your engine brake. If you have the brake armed (separate switch you install in the cab), then the brake will activate. When the TCC unlocks, the Copilot de-energizes this wire, which will kill power to the brake, disengaging it.

Specifically, the brake is controlled via a solenoid that vents pressurized air (compressed via the on-board compressor that gets installed with the brake, supplied from a small air tank that also comes with the brake) to a pneumatic actuator that manipulates the butterfly valve of the exhaust brake. When power is removed from that solenoid, the pressure is vented, and the butterfly opens back up via a return spring.

You'll remember we discussed some "hacks", including a microswitch, that was needed on the '05s due to the fact that the exhaust brake programming in the Cummins ECM was disabled by Dodge. Because the ATS Copilot monitors the various sensors independently, you don't need anything from the ECM, and therefore don't need to work around the lack of exhaust brake control in the ECM - the Copilot effectively replaces the ECM in that department.

I'd still recommend an ATS converter and valve body, to fully take advantage of exhaust braking. You can still use it with an all-stock transmission, but it won't be as seamless or effective.

Read the installation instructions of the Copilot here for more info:

Tom Lawrence

> we discussed engine braking. now that im making calls to persue it the > people are acting like they have never heard of doing this before. i want > to get this straight:>

Reply to
Abby.Normal

The Jacobs brake needs a vacuum pump.

Reply to