'06 Ram w/Diesel -- Doesn't 'hold' heat

Just a few guesses because that's what we all seem to be doing...

1) Heat moves through different substance at different speeds. I don't know the relative heat conduction of oil, water/coolant and cast iron. 2) Solids can only transfer heat via conduction or radiation, while liquids can also transfer heat via convection. I'd be willing to bet that some convection occurs inside an engine after shutdown.

It would require an engineer to calculate how fast any engine would cool down from normal operating temperature to any given ambient temperature because of a huge number of variables (many of which I probably wouldn't even think about). We could heat two trucks to normal temperature, then park then near each other, then measure the time it takes to cool down. But, where do we measure the temperature - the thermostat, the oil pan, the location of the temperature gauge sending unit, the side of the block, the geometeric center of the engine?

Reply to
Ed H.

Pretty much like this one from you, huh. Beryl simply gave a reason as to why the I6 in the OP's truck seemed to cool down so quickly and it was a valid assumption. Now perhaps you could point out exactly where his reply in any way was stirring shit.

Really???? Then please explain exactly how that long winded crap about updating data arrays has anything to do with anything in the thread. The fact is that Ed was wrong and is making himself look foolish. I understand that neither one of you care for Beryl and understandably so but all you are doing here is helping him make the both of you look like fools.

LOL, sorry Larry, but you were the one to jump on my post. I'm simply replying to you. As for him stirring shit, you and Ed both make easy targets out of yourselves by replying to his crap the way that you do. If he were to slam one of you for something when you were correct, I would and have replied to that but when he is just making you spin, what would be the point?

Reply to
TBone

Then you seem to have gotten your wish, congratulations!

Reply to
TBone

Aww gee thanks Mike. (I think)

Reply to
azwiley1

Fuck you c*ck sucker

Reply to
azwiley1

LOL, give me a break. I hardly called you names or posted anything out of hate, especially since I don't really even know you. BTW, it seems as though you are the one that didn't understand the question. The OP wanted to know if anyone had any idea's why his engine lost heat so quickly. Beryl simply made a statement that the inline configuration exposes more of it's mass as surface area and is subject to faster cool downs which for the most part, is a valid assumption and is on point with the OP's question. Perhaps you might want to point out where anything in yours is. I'm sure that the successful update of your company data array is thrilling to everyone but I missed where it has anything at all to do with the OP's question.

Reply to
TBone

Wick it to where? The water is contained within the block so where is it going to send the heat? When the engine is running the water carries the heat to the radiator but when the engine is not...

Just looking at it you can see that it does. In an inline block, both sides of the cylinders are exposed to the outside air while in a V configuration, only one side of each bank are exposed not to mention all of the internal webbing that a V series has that simply doesn't exist with an inline block.

Reply to
TBone

is that gonna piss sheryl off? just askin, cause i want to be there to see it if it is.

Reply to
theguy

Ok, hate was too stong a word and you're entitled to believe I'm a fool, but calling me Dude - that really chaps my hide! *small grin* As a hypothesis, an I-6 has more external surface area than a V-8, I just don't know if that's true for real world applications.

Probably no one finds the successful update of the drive array of any interest, but I'm the only IT guy serving about 200 employees dispersed throughout 9 fixed geographic locations and as of today, 3 mobile units, within about a 100 mile radius of what I tentatively call my office - I had to tell someone. Plus, it's a through back to another discussion Beryl and I had.

Reply to
Ed H.

First, congrats on the most reasoned approach to the vexing problem of the rapidly cooling Cummins. This thread appears to be getting a tad out of hand!

The property you are referring to is thermal conductivity which is conventionally expressed as "k". "k" is = Btu/h/ft2/degreesF/ft. The "k" of materials varies greatly, for example the "k" of water is .343 @ 32 degrees F while the "k" of wrought iron is 34.9 @ ~60-212 degrees F. Interestingly, with the exception of most metals, the "k" varies with temperature, increasing as temperature rises. The reverse is true in crystalline materials.

Not exactly true as solids can indeed transfer heat via convection. Conduction is the transfer of heat from one part of a body to another part or to another body by short range interaction of molecules and/or electrons. Convection is the transfer of heat by the combined mechanism of fluid mixing and conduction. A good example is a forced air electric furnace. The heat from the electric coil is transferred to the air via convection. Radiation is the transfer of heat in the form of electromagnetic waves. All bodies above absolute zero radiate. I'd be willing to bet that some

Actually, all three are occuring simulataneously!

Any engineer who attempt to calculate this is sending himself on a fools errand. As you correctly observed, there are simply too many variables to accurately predict what will happen. I remember years ago in one of my engineering classes the professor gave us a drawing of a table with four legs. On the table were stacked randomly a series of books. The weight of each book was given and the relative placement of each stack was accurately represented. Our challenge was to "determine" the amount of weight (or load) each table leg was bearing. We were given one hour to solve the problem. Off we went with slide rules and formulae to calculate the load on each leg. At the end of the hour we each presented our results and the methodology. All of us were wrong! How then could the load be determined, we asked? He said that you simply picked up the table and weighed each leg on a scale. A lesson in practical engineering I remember to this day!

We could heat two trucks to normal temperature, then

Now yer talkin'!

A good point! Where, indeed? Since each engine is different, what do you use as you reference point? Probably the most logical is the geometric center, then both engines must be heated to the same temperature and then record the time each engine takes to reach equillibrium with ambient. That would be my guess...

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Even if the engine is not running, natural convection will cause water currents to move within the engine thus transferring heat. Also, heat is transferred from hot to cold thus the cooling of the exterior of the engine will cause the heat to be transferred to the cooler exterior. If your previous statement were true, the interior of the engine would never cool off.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Fastinating. Questions...

1) From your equation, it looks like a higher "k" value mean faster heat transfer. Is that correct? 2) What is "h" in the above equation? 3) What is the "k" of water at say 75F or 212F? If one where to plot the "k" of water vs. the temperature of water, would that be a straight line, a logarithmic line, or would there be peeks and valleys? 4) Does pressure affect the "k" of water at different temperatures?

Whoa, I'm a little lost on this one. I would think that the heat would be transfered to the air at the solid coil/fluid air interface via conduction and radiation, then the fluid air would transfere it primarily via convection. In other words convection would be occuring at the solid/fluid interface, which means...I had to think this one through while typing my response, but I think see it now.

Reply to
Ed H.

Naw, it's pissed all the time. Maybe a side effect of being a vegetarian, but then I've known some quit amiable vegetarians, so that's not the reason.

Reply to
Ed H.

Yes

Hours

The "k" of water is relatively stable until the phase change occurs. For example the "k" of water @ 140 degrees F is .377. Once the phase change to ice occurs, the "k" increases to 1.26. A phase change to steam @ 200 degrees F results in a "k" of .0132.

Only after the phase change to steam.

Yeah, I think you got it! Radiation in this example plays a very minor role since radiation doe a poor job of heating air since air is mainly made up of empty space. You can take a radiant heat source in a cool room and stand some distance away and "feel" the warmth impinging on your body, but the air temp between you and the heat source remains relatively unchanged. That's why space between us and the sun remains quite cold... there's nuthin' to heat!

To elaborate (a little) on the convection example above, there are really two forms of convention, natural and forced.

I hope this clarifies it for you.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

The way that I addressed you???? Give me a break. You are really grasping at straws here. As for the engine configuration, while the OP did not ask for a comparison between different types, the inline configuration of the Cummins is a factor in how fast it loses heat.

Then I guess that you never really looked at an inline engine.

That would be true if it wern't complete BS. There is almost the same amount of surface area between the two. While the V series has two heads, they are about half as long so where is the gain. The only gain is in the added area from the two added endpoints which really doesn't add up to all that much.

Really??? Since you have just claimed that the Cummins has a slightly larger bore and a much longer stroke (which would make sense since it has two less cylinders and the same displacement), how exactly does the Magnum have a LARGER surface area per cylinder??????

What exactly does "the actual surface area of the cylinder walls in both engines is larger" even mean? Larger than what??? This is not a wise crack, I really don't understand what you are trying to say here.

More thermal mass means that it can store more heat energy, not necessarily that it can hold temp longer. Thermal transfer rates and the surface area exposed has a lot of influence on how quikly that heat is pulled from that mass.

That would be valid only if your and his truck were exposed to the same temp and have the same or similar under hood conditions. I don't know if that is the case or not and neither do you. I am not saying that Beryl is correct in this theory, only that it was on point with the OP's question and was a valid theory.

Reply to
TBone

Sarcasm hard to grasp, punkin?

Atta-boy punkin. Go! Then turn left. There's a stool and a red pointy cap with a "D" for you in the corner.

rate of heat loss.

Hmmm. I don't detect a condescending tone in your reply. Not the slightest bit. *Any* moron knows that something gets cold faster when it's friggin' cold outside!

And I think of Delta T (or Delta anything) as a change in T (or in anything). Different than a differential. A differential exists between two or more things, all at once, at the same time. But a change in some thing does not exist at once, because some thing that was once like that and then changed is no longer like that, it's now like this. That's why there's time, so everything doesn't all happen at once. But I'm not an engineer.

And I also think your solid/convection explanation was messed up. The coil in your forced air electric furnace did not transfer heat via convection.

Reply to
Beryl

Correction, "_total_ the surface area of the cylinder_s_ which the piston_s_ travel past..." The Magnum has a smaller surface area through which the piston travels per cylinder, but the surface area for all the cylinders is slightly greater in the Magnum. I made a linquistic mistake and if I posted the formulas below this probably wouldn't be an issue.

Magnum 5.9 surface area for the piston travel = 4" x Pi x 3.58" x 8 = 359.7 square inches. Cummins 5.9 surface area for the piston travel = 4.02" x Pi x 4.72 x 6 =

357.5 square inches.

The cylinders walls have to extend below the top of the pistons so that the pistons will remain in the cylinders. Therefore, the actual surface area of the cylinder walls is larger than what I calculated.

The underhood conditions will, by definition, be dissimilar, it's the conditons outside of the hood that need to be the same for a meaningfull comparison.

I mis-represented myself in my haste to post (dang, I should've been a poet) and caught it only after I clicked the send button. What I should have said is that my 6.6L Duramax cools faster than my 5.9 Magnum in approximately the same conditions. Those conditions - since I bought the Duramax - have been such that, after sitting for about an hour, no matter what the ambient tempurature is, the DMax engine has to run for about the same amount of time for the tempurature gauge to read above it's low of 180F as compared to the amount of time required heat it up at sunrise after sitting all night. This is anecdotal as I haven't actually sat with a stop watch and a thermometer, but I believe it to be true.

Reply to
Ed H.

I've never read such pearls of wisdom as "And I think of Delta T (or Delta anything) as a change in T (or in anything). Different than a differential"

Then there's "A differential exists between two or more things, all at once, at the same time. But a change in some thing does not exist at once, because some thing that was once like that and then changed is no longer like that, it's now like this. That's why there's time, so everything doesn't all happen at once."

Lets not forget :"But I'm not an engineer."

I only I wish I was half as smart as Beryl, then I might understand what this genius wrote. Until I'm as smart as Beryl let me add these few simple words: Beryl, lay off the sauce man, or get yourself to an emergency room because you write like you just suffered a stroke.

Reply to
Ed H.

Edith:

I can use a more toddleresque style for you if you need that.

Its right eye popped, Edith. I saw waves emanate from the site.

No, poor me. I have no official documents attesting to my ability.

I don't drink, Edith. Ok, I had a glass of wine 8 years ago. No drugs too. I'll send you a urine sample.

Reply to
Beryl

Edith:

It isn't anecdotal to you, Edith, whether or not you used a stopwatch and thermometer. It is anecdotal to the rest of us. Whether or not you used a stopwatch and thermometer.

Reply to
Beryl