'08 Dakota 4.7

Page 1 of 3
Anybody have one? Impressions and/or comments?

Joe wrote:

I have a 2002 4.7. So far 96,000 + miles it has been reliable and can still smoke the tires.
It still has the idle problem I filed a Lemon Law suit about. I plan to get that fixed when the power train warranty expires.
I had to replace a starter too. It's a German piece of electronic junk like all German electrical products are.
JAM
I have an 2004, quad cab 4.7, have 52000 on it. Replaced the starter as well at 51,000, i just had 1 with a bad starter. What's the idle problem u mentioned ?? Mine would idler weird, sometimes dropping to 500 r.p.m., put it in neutral, go to 650 or so, then back to drive, idle would hold. Dealer cleaned the trottle body, seemed to help, but would low idler now and then. Now since winter has arrived i haven't noticed the low idler problem.
Rog

rdtaxted wrote:

Yep that is it. Sometime after is warms up, when you stop and light or stop sign, the idle drops below 500rpm. Sometimes if you are shifting gears to park it will stall.
The dealer put a datalogger on it. It showed that the computer was calling for the low idle. They said it was not a problem and refused to fix it. That's when I filed the Lemon Law suit.
TSBs were issued for the problem up to 2001 but not for the 2002.
JAM
Joe wrote:

As hard on fuel as a fullsize. My brother needed the fifth wheel in my chev 5.3 ext cab z71 for a week with my trailer, and he rented me a truck, it was 2mpg harder than my chev.
Nice and peppy though :) Little small inside after getting used to the fullsize.

Is this an '08 you're talking about? I'm interested in the '08, as the HP is now up to 302.
Joe wrote:

Yes it was an 08 he gave me, quad cab, 4x4, 4.7L But don't take my opinions as the gospel. I had it for about 9 days, and put about 4 tanks of fuel through it traveling around for christmas. I'm not a big man, 220lbs, 5'11, but i just found the room in the chev better, and the fuel mileage better. My chev has a plow on it as well.
I'm a ford man at heart, bought a chev pickup for myself, a honda for the wife, and my brother rented me a dodge...

My 360 Dak gets around 14 overall, so I'd expect the 4.7 to get at least 15. ;)
How many miles were on the 2008 Dakota your brother rented for u to us ???
Rog

Joe, Yes, I do. It doesn't use diesel. My 3500 dually gets better mileage. Steve

Wow. So what are we talking, 14/15?

Joe wrote:

All my tanks ranged from 15-15.5mpg on the dakota i had. It had 18,000kms on it, lot of highway in that travelling for xmas.
I get a faithful 17mpg from my chev -- likely with more city than i did with the dakota, only improves slightly with more highway anyway...
Joe wrote:

I get 18 to 22 in my 2wd LWB Dakota.
JAM
I get ave. 20 mpg with my 4.7, 2007 Dakota

Abby.Normal wrote:

I bet you do.
need a picture?

Abby.Normal wrote:

I'd love a picture.
You talking US MPG or Imperial MPG 4.4L/GAL or 3.79L/GAL
Convert it to a real unit like Litres and Kilometers (L/100KM) or something standard.
I can't get you the picture because it's currently at 20.1 mpg. I stated 20 mpg earlier. btw, if it were in metrics I would have stated km/l or something equally as silly. It is a US vehicle, manufactured in the US, for use by someone from the US. It would be wrong to set it to metrics since we don't use metrics in this country - although it is capable.

Abby.Normal wrote:

Actually, the metric standard is L/100KM
30 US MPG = 36 Imp MPG = 7.8 L/100KM
20.1 Imp MPG is 16.8 US MPG
Are we talking about the same thing, only US vs Imp gallons?
I'm using a 3.79 gallon, what are you using?
US, 128 oz, gallon and the mpg rating is US miles (5,280 ft. at 12 US in./ft.) per US gallon. now indicating 20.2 mpg US 100% running cheap QT gas, 100% synthetic lubricants throughout.